Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear License Plate Screw / Bolt Size???

Mike123

Well when the company I work for sent me to P/U the transit connect, the dealer put my old van plate on the transit. I then had to return beause they needed the plate back and I was to get a new one in the future, well now the screws fell out and I cannot drive it unless I am working and the Screws / Bolts that hold a plate on are a threaded type screw not a sheet metal screw and probably metric so I am looking to buy them (2) because the temp registration runs out soon and I will need to put the new plate and need the size of the screws required to put a plate on, the guy screwed them in tight but they are gone.

So anyone know what the size is? It is a 2011 or maybe a 2012 Ford Transit Connect.

Hope tro pick them up today if I can learn the size.

Thanks,

Mike123

Guess this is a Top Secert and only chosen few need to know all but those that need to know.

This will be my last post does not look like this forum gets much attention. Was hoping for some help.

I will just have to get to work get a plate and go to a hardware and see if they have anything.

You can close my memebership won't be returning ...

Gee whiz guy... some people have unrealistic expectations. This is a forum dedicated to a vehicle that (1) there aren't a lot of on the road, and (2) not many will care enough about to go on the internet and search out a forum to post on about it. We're not going to have the numbers and knowledge of a forum dedicated to a more plentiful and popular vehicle. Also, why couldn't a Ford dealer supply the screws? The Ford dealer I picked mine up from had put on their own dealer plate and frame, so obviously they've got the needed screws on hand.

Edited by azdamay

• 6 years later...

When I went to put plates on mine, I found that the insert in the body just spun.  So, I used four tek screws and four electrical device spacers to install the plate.  The tek screws are self-drilling, and the spacers keep the plate from rattling on the bodywork.  I drilled four new holes in the back door to mount the plate, but so it goes.  The plate will never, ever fall off.

There is another thread buried around here in regards to the license plate screw.  On my car, the dealership tech removed the interior panel of the lift gate to show it to me.  There is a 6 sided, hex shaped hole punched into the door.  The factory installs a 6 sided, hex shaped rivet nut.  The scenario which repeats itself is that a salesman, service writer, or parts counter guy grabs a couple of license plate screws which work on all the trucks and vans......except this one, built in Turkey.  Different size and thread pitch.  Screws up the rivet nut threads.  So the tech having access to the inside and outside of the door panel, is able to carefully remove the damaged rivet nut with a cutoff disc, angle grinder, and drill.  A little touch up paint to cover the bare metal.  Then with a rivet nut tool, he sets another pair of OEM 6 sided, hex shaped rivet nuts.  

You can do whatever you want.  I recall that one member drilled out the hole and riveted his plate to his van.  You could also install a rivet nut.  You could overengineer it by using washers with the rivet nut.  

Related imageRelated image

Luckily mine came with the correct screws from the dealer holding the dealer frame and paper plate on.

Here in AZ we don't have front plates so I have no holes or bracket in the front bumper. My last car, a Totota, came with the front plate bracket and screws in a bag by the spare tire. This one came with nothing else - at least I haven't found anything else - maybe it's with the spare tire which I should drop and inspect.

A couple weeks ago I ordered the following $10 front plate holder and used it to move my rear plate up closer to the lights. It worked perfect - used the factory screws to mount it to the vehicle and then used the included Torx screws to mount my plate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RIVG814/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trunknets Inc Universal Front Bumper License Plate Bracket + 6 Unique Screws and Wrench Kit

Edited by donuts