Ford Transit Connect Forum

2019-2020 Sync 3 upgrade.... maybe

infrarad

Hey all! Sorry to make this my first post, as a quick into I got a 2020 SWB TC cargo over the holiday and I'm already getting to customizing! Perfect for hauling pinball machines ? I'll try to document anything I work on here in the forums, glad there's an active TC community!

Intro aside, my first upgrade is swapping out the 4.2" basic stereo with a 6" Sync 3 system. Having seen so many other Sync 3 upgrades in other Ford vehicles, I figured it was just a matter of gathering parts and programming the APIM. Sourced a dash bezel, screen, and Sync 3 APIM from a wrecked 2019 TC.

Immediate problem however, there's no traditional 54 pin APIM connector. Seems like the radio unit (AHU?) handles pretty much everything. Is there an APIM at all to replace? I also have the entire wiring harness from the '19 TC to reference but I'm baffled on where it all connects to.

Shorter version, is this kind of upgrade even possible? Any input is appreciated! Attached are a couple images I've taken along the way.

IMG_6789.jpeg

IMG_6788.jpeg

10 hours ago, mrtn said:

There's a guy in the transit connect'ed facebook group who does these conversions for a living. Perhaps he's willing to share the information.

Oh that's perfect, thank you! Reached out to him, very knowledgeable guy.

Gotta say this is a really expensive venture so far. I considered aftermarket but it seems like that would be just as involved these days.

• 2 years later...