Ford Transit Connect Forum

Need ideas on how fill the steps on inside of sliding doors.

How about putting a section of plywood over it? 3/8"-1/2" is plenty thick enough to support a bed (probably even 1/4" since you're just covering a small area), and will take up minimal room overall. Plus you'll have the space between the steps and the plywood to store random small stuff, like a roll of paper towels or whatever. Is this a cargo van or passenger van? Cargo vans have a false floor there with a pretty decent amount of wasted space below it. I removed the false floor from mine a long time ago. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, jrm223 said:

Cargo vans have a false floor there with a pretty decent amount of wasted space below it. I removed the false floor from mine a long time ago. 

Do you have a photo of this please?  It would be nice to use it for something!

Thanks!

Here's some photos from this forum back in 2016 that I copied when I thought they might come in useful for working on my 2015. My apologies to the member who did the original post but I didn't think to make a notation at the time. Based on the file names I gave them at the time, they were from a 2015 cargo version.

TC with floorplate installed.jpg

TC with floorplate removed 1.jpg

TC with floorplate removed 2.jpg

TC-2015vanLWB-floorextension.jpeg

TC-2015vanLWB-floorextension2.jpeg

TC-2015vanLWB-floorextension3.jpeg

TC-2015vanLWB-floorextension4.jpeg

On 3/25/2021 at 11:31 AM, DonShockley said:

Here's some photos from this forum back in 2016 that I copied when I thought they might come in useful for working on my 2015. My apologies to the member who did the original post but I didn't think to make a notation at the time. Based on the file names I gave them at the time, they were from a 2015 cargo version.

I can say that the black van is mine, lol. I'm not sure on the white one with black false floor, I remember the pics but not the user. 

• 1 month later...

Yes,this is great extra space.

But,please use it safely.

Even an AGM battery should be vented to the outside when used as a house battery.In an over charging situation,explosive gases  can be released.

https://rvnerds.com/2017/11/01/electrical-myths-part-4-agm-batteries-dont-need-venting/

Also,follow recommended methods for transporting propane cylinders.

https://www.amerigas.com/propane-grill-tanks/transporting-propane-tanks

Also,propane is heavier than air and will settle in low spots.What do you think will happen if you get a spark when working on your battery?

Edited by JackGrimshaw

Thanks Jack.  That's my plan.  That's why the caption is "trial fit".  It will be a bit tricky building the box (or 2 boxes) for containment, but I'll be doing that in the coming weeks.

Good safety advice for all.

1 hour ago, JackGrimshaw said:

Also,follow recommended methods for transporting propane cylinders.

https://www.amerigas.com/propane-grill-tanks/transporting-propane-tanks

Those recommendations are specific to standard vertical tanks, his clearly says "Horizontal cylinder - this side must face up". It should definitely get mounted, though, so it's not able to move around on it's own. Some nutserts in the floor and matching bolts would take care of that. 

I wouldn't want propane there.  You'll have to run plumbing from that space, to whatever you are cooking with.  And you'll be taking it out all the time to refill it.  So whatever type of enclosure you build, I would guess that there will be flooring and whatever else you install.  Imagine taking everything out, to refill the propane.  

8 hours ago, JackGrimshaw said:

Even an AGM battery should be vented to the outside

You will really need to think about that.  Do you drill holes?  Do you cut a piece out and install a louvered vent?  Do you install a fan, to ensure airflow?  Or do you build a battery box behind the rear wheel well, and install a vented access door like it's a bus or RV?

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/images/video/Demo-Valterra-RV-Vents-and-Fans-A10-3300BK.webm

Remember the propane cylinder  has a safety pressure relief valve and if the temp and pressure exceed a limit the tank vents.  If the tank is inside the vehicle it needs to be in a vented gas tight box .