Ford Transit Connect Forum

My 2017 Transit Connect Wagon was an excellent choice1

Charlie722

I was looking for an alternative to a SUV, CUV, and minivan to replace my aging Ford Freestyle SEL, and then I found this Ford Certified lightly used 2017 Transit Connect Titanium Wagon LWB at a local Ford dealership. It fits the bill perfectly! Incredibly roomy for both passengers and cargo, handles nimbly, adequate acceleration, smooth ride, and way more fuel efficient than other vehicles with even less usable interior room. The Titanium interior trim and options are quite upscale -- mine has the middle row bucket seats and offers great room and easy access for four adults plus a good amount of cargo area with the third row folded flat. During the weekday it serves as my mobile office and can carry all of my test kits, files, laptop computer, and printer. On weekends I use it for camping trips and runs to the boat. It has even made Home Depot runs to carry home bulky items like appliances. The Synch3 system works well, but I did experience a failure of the APIM which took out that system that was fortunately covered under the warranty. The only other trouble experienced is that one day I went to drive it from home, and all electrical power was totally DEAD. It had to be towed to the Ford dealer to be resurrected (could not be jump-started by AAA), and the dealership never did figure out what caused it, but when they disconnected and reconnected the battery, the electrical system came back to life spontaneously. Due to these electrical issues, I decided to purchase the Ford Protect extended warranty for peace of mind for 100,000 miles. The only thing I miss is a remote opening and closing tailgate, but that is a small sacrifice of convenience.

Regards from Lakeland, Florida,

Charlie

11 hours ago, Charlie722 said:

electrical power was totally DEAD. It had to be towed to the Ford dealer to be resurrected

If that ever happens again, Disconnect the battery for 2 Minutes and it will come back to life even if it needs a boost.

Thanks for that tip, GBL ... but is it sufficient just to disconnect the positive terminal for 2 minutes, then reconnect? The negative terminal is rather hard to access without removing the parts that hold in the battery and sliding the battery out of its compartment.

Thanks,

Charlie

Rather than disconnecting the ground at the battery - or even the positive, for that matter - all you need to disconnect is the ground connection on the strut tower, next to the battery. That cable is the only ground connection between the battery & vehicle. 

8 hours ago, jrm223 said:

disconnect is the ground connection on the strut tower, next to the battery.

5 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

The ground connection will also spark when connecting/disconnecting

I have not seen sparks when disconnecting the chassis ground. 

When the TC is dead on In the parking lot some where inconvenient the positive post is the fastest way out.  The sparks I was talking about are those  when you hit the cowl with the wrench in the heat of the moment!

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I have not seen sparks when disconnecting the chassis ground. 

Me either...until now. The sparking was loud and worrisome. The next time I removed the ground stud I connected a jumper wire to maintain the connection. Probably nothing to worry about. Just an FYI.