Ford Transit Connect Forum

What snow tires y'alls running 2010-2013

pinky

Mine is a Gen 2 I have run these  they work pretty well.

There are several threads on how to switch the Traction control off in your van, you need to find them because in deep snow it will make your TC terrible in the snow.  Once I figured out how to switch it off My Snow performance was greatly enhanced.. This vehicle will never be a Subaru .

SUMITOMO
HTR A/S P02 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)High Performance All-Season

Size: 205/65R15 99V XL

Style: Blackwall

Load Range: XL

Serv. Desc: 99V

UTQG: 600 A A

Gen1 TC is absolutely brilliant in snow (better than Gen2) with proper snow tires, even better than many 4WD SUV. 

So it's definitely the correct tires you're missing.

Note that All Season and All Climate tires are not actual snow tires even if they have all the markings, including 3PMSF, they're almost equally bad.

Edited by mrtn

2018 TC with Bridgestone Blizzak snowtires.  In the NYC area.  Major storm the other day.  Was out before the plows finished their work.  Really no problem driving the 60 miles to work early in the morning.  Yes, you need excellent snow tires... but also yes... you need to know how to drive in the snow.  Just saying...

On 12/18/2020 at 8:44 PM, G B L said:

Take a look at this Thread It has a lot of good info.

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/473-traction-control/

Some interesting stuff, and food for thought. Don't like the idea of having to disable ABS to turn off traction control though. Some mention of pulling fuse 15 to make that happen, but I'd think rather than pull it, just add an extension with the fuse and a switch long enough reach the shift console, then turn it on and off as needed. Some debate as to whether the system will reset properly with a hot switch or if you'd need to restart the vehicle. Seems simple enough to pop a couple female spades on the fuse terminal, along with an inline fuse holder and switch, and if it doesn't work, just pop that off and make it like it was.

And having the engine cut out on a major slide? That's just plain scary and dangerous, especially in traffic - what were they thinking?? Never had that happen on my 2011, so maybe they fixed that "feature" along the way?

In the meantime, I'd already stumbled across using the gear selection to help control the vehicle when Drive doesn't do it. New snow, I'll typically start out in second until I get a feel for the road, then shift up if I can get away with it.

2016 wagon with 215/60r16 agressive-tread winter tires. I'm located midway between Ottawa,Ont. and Montreal,Que. Got van in summer 2018 and no problems in winter. Can turn off traction-control on steering wheel but it will reset at next start.

23 hours ago, Gideon said:

Can turn off traction-control on steering wheel

That took me a while to find but definitely helps, wish it was a button it would be better.

The adding a  switch would be a good solution for the gen 1 so ABS could be operational most of the time.