Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help - ABS / Hill Start Assist

gwbasley

This happened once before but then just went away....now it's back.

My ABS & Hill Start Assist lights are on.

My speedometer stopped working.

My information displays do not show data.

My steering is "heavy".

There are no codes on my OBD II reader and I can't seem to find out how to check the F19 fuse.

Anyone have any suggestions?...the dealers in my area are not trustworthy so I'm going to have to find another fix for this.

I tried the battery disconnect but no dice.

Just for the heck of it, I tried the maintenance light reset.  I couldn't remember the protocol so I just turned on the ignition and pumped the gas pedal.  After 2 pumps the ABS went out but the hill start assist was still on, so I drove it around the block and everything returned to normal...hopefully it will stay that way.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  Is this a glitch in the system or did I do something inadvertently to set it off?

I got that error message when I had a communication fault because I was reading engine parameters using Forscan. It must have been Forscan interrupting some signals by continuously displaying data that is not normally displayed.

This is where you need a scan tool. I had no check engine light but there were comm fails DTCs.

• 2 weeks later...

2016 and the Battery is new....36K miles.

It comes up almost every start up.  Sometimes I can shut off, turn key to "on", pump the accelerator, then start and the Hill stare assist will turn off but ABS warning still on.  After driving about 100 feet the ABS goes off....that is sometimes.  Other times both warnings are on and they go off after 1/4 mile or so.  When the HSA warning is on I have no speedo or digital readouts and have to gauge speed with the tach.  My big problem is loss of speedo and data.  OBD II says "no codes found".

Anyone have a clue for a fix (besides the DEALER)???

Edited by gwbasley

The speedo is related to ABS because speed is calculated by wheel revolutions. ABS monitors wheel revolutions also.

Unfortunately, even with good diagnostic tools (scan tool, Forscan etc.), you may be stuck taking this to a dealer to fix. If Forscan shows a communication fault with the ABS module for example, you still don't know how to fix it. 

Replacing modules on your own is complicated if not impossible.

A good Scan tool will allow the ABS data to be viewed and recorded.  If the ABS light goes off after a short drive View all the wheel sensors as you start to drive, see if they all start to transmit at the same time.

19 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

Replacing modules on your own is complicated if not impossible.

Just replacing modules is very hit or miss and expensive. Don is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the scan tool.  Also may be a connection issue, dirty sensor etc.  First step would be to pull the wheels and check the sensors to make sure they are clean.  Check connections if possible, intermittent problems are always difficult to diagnose but makes me think it may be a connection issue somewhere.  Over the years I've had good success unplugging and re-connecting plugs - but then there are some problems that doesn't fix which is frustrating.

Not sure what the fuse looks like and I'm too lazy to look it up but I have found many of the small fuses to be difficult to get out without a puller.  I've resorted to a small pair of needle nose pliers on occasion but have to remember they are metal and conduct electricity so don't mess up more stuff.

If you can't fix it your self may have to resort to dealer or a good independent repair shop.  Problem I have these days is I don't use a repair shop often enough to know who is good and who isn't - maybe this is a good thing.  I have a Chevy Volt which is loaded with electronic devices and high voltage cables and I cringe when thinking about what could go wrong.

Let me start by thanking everyone for the input, but unfortunately, the driveway fixes have not cured the problem. 

The two local dealers have terrible reputations, so that will be my absolute last resort.  Forscan has been mentioned but I know nothing about it.  It sounds like a more sophisticated version of my OBDII reader...where do I get one and how much are they?  I'm sure it will be far less costly than the dealer's bill.

Forscan is best known for it's ability to make changes to the configuration of your Ford (add cruise control, turn off DRL etc). But it is also a good, free scan tool.

Here is one tutorial on Forscan. Don't worry about the programming change instructions. 

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

• 2 weeks later...

gwbasley, did you fix your issue? I have had a terrible time lately with my 2015 connect (70600miles )all my bells and  whistles going off ! hill assist/ service engine/ service transmission/ and also a transmission failure notice.

It also went into limp mode,  now I'd like to think I'm more than a driveway mechanic as I have 7 vehicles to maintain, I also just helped my Friend install a lift in his shop!

I Found the problem!!  turns out the rear wheel sensor was not picking up the speed . it started when we had a snow storm, there is a magnetic ring in the rear wheel hub assembly.

I thought I could feel a bearing problem lately. I also have a friend who is a seasoned Ford service tech, He had told me there is a known issue with the rear speed sensor on the Ford focus/ Transit connect and it effects the transmission 

( Nice to have friends in low places) I want to thank  GBL / shady lady/ Don Ridley.

Also I found while shopping for parts that rock auto had the motorcraft hub/ bearing assembly for $299.00 each, I almost lost it. On a whim I checked the dealer, They have motorcraft hubs for

$130.00 ea.  one dealer in connetuicut had them ford $105 ea.and the abs sensors for $19.00 ea. Now I'm not one to through parts at something until it's fixed and I will not pay a dealer for diagnostics. As soon as I change the right rear wheel hub and sensor

I plugged it in turned the key and all my lights were gone, no more errors. Test ride was perfect, now to reset the adaptive tables for the transmission.  

Ford Tech Quick tip #66

On 1/10/2021 at 8:10 AM, jpbonesaw said:

gwbasley, did you fix your issue? I have had a terrible time lately with my 2015 connect (70600miles )all my bells and  whistles going off ! hill assist/ service engine/ service transmission/ and also a transmission failure notice.

It also went into limp mode,  now I'd like to think I'm more than a driveway mechanic as I have 7 vehicles to maintain, I also just helped my Friend install a lift in his shop!

I Found the problem!!  turns out the rear wheel sensor was not picking up the speed . it started when we had a snow storm, there is a magnetic ring in the rear wheel hub assembly.

I thought I could feel a bearing problem lately. I also have a friend who is a seasoned Ford service tech, He had told me there is a known issue with the rear speed sensor on the Ford focus/ Transit connect and it effects the transmission 

( Nice to have friends in low places) I want to thank  GBL / shady lady/ Don Ridley.

Also I found while shopping for parts that rock auto had the motorcraft hub/ bearing assembly for $299.00 each, I almost lost it. On a whim I checked the dealer, They have motorcraft hubs for

$130.00 ea.  one dealer in connetuicut had them ford $105 ea.and the abs sensors for $19.00 ea. Now I'm not one to through parts at something until it's fixed and I will not pay a dealer for diagnostics. As soon as I change the right rear wheel hub and sensor

I plugged it in turned the key and all my lights were gone, no more errors. Test ride was perfect, now to reset the adaptive tables for the transmission.  

Ford Tech Quick tip #66

To answer your question, no, I still have the problem but that is great info...I'll follow up on it. 

Since my last post I have downloaded FORScan, purchased the connector for my laptop, and gotten website approval.  I still have to purchase a license and then learn how to use the thing.  Once I do that I'll look at those areas first.  I had seen mention of that fix on Youtube but it looked like an expensive "throw parts at it" move.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:38 AM, Don Ridley said:

You do not need to purchase a Forscan license to use the scan tool function of the software. You only need a license if you want to make configuration changes to your vehicle like adding cruise control.

I have to admit..I'm an old guy and a tech Dummy.  So I got Forscan and the connector, plugged it in and I'm really not sure what I'm looking for.  If I could just have a speedo I'd be happy.  I can do without ABS and hill start assist.  Someone mentioned checking the wheel sensors...so how to do?

1 hour ago, gwbasley said:

So I got Forscan and the connector, plugged it in and I'm really not sure what I'm looking for.  If I could just have a speedo I'd be happy. 

For some of us, it's just to read codes and clear the Check Engine Light.  

For some, it's the gauges.  Gauges which aren't on your dash.  Sure, you get dummy gauges on the dash.  But some people want to see real numbers.  

I've had it for years.  Still playing with it.  Still learning.  

If you search "forscan", you should get all sorts of threads on this forum which will describe all the different things people have done with it.

image.thumb.png.c1fd26ac647d644dd48a71c6719f73b1.png1.jpg3.jpg833354021_IPCREGISTERCOMPARISON-ASBUILTDATA.thumb.jpg.5c75d8b6ccb943e8671414f4ac5fe69e.jpg

• 2 years later...

I started having this exact issue on Saturday, I went to leave a customer location and got all of these symptoms, I turned it off waited a second, restarted and it cleared for me to drive the 70 miles home.  I didn't drive it yesterday, but it immediately did it when I went to leave this morning, as soon as I rolled a couple hundred feet.  

Did you happen to figure out what your issue was?  I am leaning toward a wheel speed sensor, but I don't know.  I really don't want to take it to a dealer.

• 1 month later...

I had the same indications; abs and traction lights on, hill assist alert, etc.  I was looking online and one response said that if the brake fluid is low, it would give those indications. My fluid was low, filled it and the alerts went away. 

It's practically impossible to troubleshoot these types of computer generated faults without a scan tool like Forscan. Even then, it can be challenging. Get a scan tool and read the DTCs (yellow triangle icon in Forscan). 

Some weird computer faults can be caused by a weak battery. I've never experienced this (with a weak battery) but some have reported this on various forums.