Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014+ TC Camper Conversion

Hi everyone,

I've been designing and building a fold out seat bed that will fit into a 2014+ TC LWB.  I'm planning on fitting out Ford TC's with high quality camper conversions.

I'm also going to build a kit and possibly template kits available for purchase for other TC owners.  

My 2 seat bed designs will fit into the TC cargo with or without the false floor.

I don't have access to a TC to make the precise measurements, but can anyone out there help me with the following measurements?

I've been going to the local dealership and trying out my prototype.  I'm almost finished.  There is adequate headroom and foot room and the bed will be 72" long and 48" wide when finished.  It's taken a lot of measuring and trial and error to get to this point.350082062_FalseFloorWhite7A.jpg.294af3dd625072486dfe1386d7c761da.jpg503935898_FalseFloorBlack1A.jpg.b22b7edd3816f35f74980f68aaaf6a79.jpg

I need to know the exact measurement from the beginning of the rear door tread to the end of the main floor bulkhead before the false floor starts.  I think it's somewhere between 51.5"  and 52".IMG_3946A.thumb.jpg.8a5fcae558f31ff62a10d55305388305.jpg

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

Justin

False Floor Black 3A.JPG

I commented on the other thread already, but I'll reply here, too. There are SWB and LWB variants, so that needs to be accounted for. My LWB is 60" from that metal edge to the rubber weatherstripping for the back doors. I don't have that plastic trim piece in my van anymore, but I can probably dig it out tomorrow and measure to the leading edge of it, if someone else doesn't get you a measurement before I can. 

Yes please.  I tried to rent a Ford TC lwb cargo van but there aren't any available.  Dealers and used car lots won't let me unbolt the D rings and lift up the vinyl mat to measure underneath.  I am going to try and go to a wrecker and see if they will let me measure.  It's around 52"  from the rear door tread to the step in the floor where the false floor connects.

Thanks

Justin,post your location and the distance you are willing to drive to get your measurement and ask for a volunteer.You are welcome to stop by and measure my TC.

Also,join the Transit Connect Camper facebook group.You may find someone in the middle of a build who is willing to measure.

The van interior will be finished on all sides with cloth and a headliner too.  It will be sound proofed and thermally insulated.  There should be enough room for a table.

In future, I will be begin designing a narrower 36" version of the seat bed and it could possibly have a 12v fridge, cupboards and a hob cooker, although that it is going to be a tight squeeze.   These videos are very helpful.

Most Transit conversions I've seen have a sideways bed, and I think mine will work better facing forwards, based on the Westphalia style.  I used to restore VW Buses, and I'm totally hooked on the new generation Transit TC's.  The body is small but camper vans like these are very popular in Europe, especially during covid.

This is my old bus.  Aircooled engine in the back, poor heat, summer vehicle only.  Pretty vulnerable front sitting position.

BTW, I tried to see if the seat bed would align with the wagon seat belt holes, but it won't.  It isn't possible.  But bear in mind any insurance company nowadays will not insure a wooden seat without head rests so even if the seat bed could configure with 2nd row passenger seat you could not use the seat while the vehicle is in motion.  Most of these camper kits would be designed for 2 passengers only.  My old 67 bus didn't have seat belts at all.

DSC00546.JPG

DSC00553 (1).JPG