Ford Transit Connect Forum

Gear stick feels stiff going up and down but has a lot of play going side to side

SandyHenderson

Title says it all. My mechanic replaced the selector. It made it feel better but its still a struggle to move around the gears. Clutch and gearbox itself is good and goes into gear smoothly. Just moving around the stick feels tight. The stick leans to the right too. Any ideas? 

Transit connect 2006 

That is a cable shift transmission linkage and it uses 2 shift cables to move the gear selectors inside the gear box.  One of the cables has lost its lubrication and needs to be replaced.  We do not have Manual transmissions in TC's here. We have the Focus which is the same.  It is enough of a job that if you do one you should do both.. Before you take it apart have your mechanic take the cable off the transmission and move the shifter to check the friction.  If the shifter moves freely check the transmission shift levers to see if they are binding.  If the levers move as they should the cables need to be replaced.  Let us know what happens.

15 hours ago, G B L said:

That is a cable shift transmission linkage and it uses 2 shift cables to move the gear selectors inside the gear box.  One of the cables has lost its lubrication and needs to be replaced.  We do not have Manual transmissions in TC's here. We have the Focus which is the same.  It is enough of a job that if you do one you should do both.. Before you take it apart have your mechanic take the cable off the transmission and move the shifter to check the friction.  If the shifter moves freely check the transmission shift levers to see if they are binding.  If the levers move as they should the cables need to be replaced.  Let us know what happens.

I had someone mention spraying wd 40 on the cables to see if it helps. Would you recommend this? I'm not urgently needing it fixed but if its not going to cost me too much then I may get it done soon so it feels better to drive. I appreciate your time! Thank you

You can lube cables and it often helps, but don't use WD40. It's "WaterDisplacement" and was made for spraying metal parts to prevent them from rusting while being shipped by boat exposed to salt air.  Is lubes properties aren't that great and it attracts and holds dirt and debris.  Its' not sprayed on them but sprayed into the connectors so it runs down the outer housing that surrounds the cables and lubes them.  (This is in general, have no idea if it makes a difference in this situation.)

Edited by MLB

On 10/31/2020 at 2:49 AM, G B L said:

That could help, you can also lubricate the transmission end .  You can also  disconnect the  cable at the Transmission end and see if the levers are stiff .

I'll try that too. Weather is horrible atm and I'm trying to get some convertion work done during dry spells. Is the selector which my mechanic replaced, down near the transmission end? I've also seen a lot of people mention the bushing on the transmission end of ford's seems to go and you can just replace that instead of doing the full linkage? Thanks mate