Ford Transit Connect Forum

Just Got My USED 2016 XLT LWB Passenger TC

Thank you to everyone here on the forum. I've been lurking and scouting as my plan to Snake Plissken it "Escape from New York" as the winter approaches. I feel safer on the road and will depart in a few weeks and head across the CA to visit my folks.

I picked up a Silver XLT LWB this past weekend. A 2016 with 68k miles on it. Its a passenger version I'm going to convert to #vanglamp a little bit. Won't be living in it full time but will build out storage and a platform to sleep on as needed. Will probably more airbnb it frankly. But I'll be all set to sleep in it for a couple days as needed. Will post plans and photos as I get the build going.

SUNROOF RECALL! This has the panoramic sunroof too - subject of a recall issued just this May. Anyone get their roof repaired by a Ford dealer yet?

REAR SEATS Got the rear seats out (third row) and plan to dispose of them but keep the second row (bucket seats). Anyone in the NE area want the third row seats? (I have no place to store them).

Plan:

- birch wood platform

- maybe a Goal Zero or Jackery

- not doing electrics or solar just yet outside of the above

All for now!

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

• 2 months later...

Late to the party here but came to investigate the "Panoramic Sunroof" recall issue.

After about two weeks of conversations with my local Ford Service Manager we arranged to leave our 2015 SWB TC with a local auto glass installer.  Not sure if this is standard procedure but this is small town America and didn't seem unusual.

In the process of removing the old glass it was broken.  So now we are waiting for Ford to deliver a new glass.

This has been something of a troubling process altogether.  Nobody in the service department had even been made aware of it.  We have had zero issues with water or wind leakage.  I guess it doesn't help that most in the business don't even know what a Transit Connect is, much less that there are wagon versions that are actually equipped like regular passenger vehicles.

Just thought I'd pass along the experience.

14 hours ago, TomBanjo said:

this is small town America

14 hours ago, TomBanjo said:

Nobody in the service department had even been made aware of it.

I suspect that it all depends on the dealership.  Big City, Small Town......it doesn't matter.  Some small dealerships are better because they are small.  Some big dealerships are better, and that's why they are so big.  Some dealerships may be great at everything Mustang, or F-150, and not so good with the rest of the Ford fleet.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:44 AM, MichaelSetoTraveler said:

head across the CA to visit my folks.

Are you heading towards Northern California or Southern California?  Or by CA, are you referring to Canada?  I'm in The SF Bay Area.  Ordinarily, I might give you some references for roadside attractions, and "go to" spots.  But with Corona Virus, you should probably research the Covid infection status of the region before going.  

On 10/21/2020 at 6:44 AM, MichaelSetoTraveler said:

the panoramic sunroof

Pretty sure you could just do a VIN check to see if your van is even a part of the recall.  Chances are good that if your van is a 2016, and there isn't excessive wind or a leak, then the roof is fine.  I'm pretty sure that you would already have noticed if there was a loud noise from wind, or it leaked everytime you wash the car.  I suspect that the fix for the recall is probably removing the roof, and reinstalling it with a new seal.  If it were my van, I would not be in too much of a hurry to fix something which isn't broken.  I don't think that you will be driving down the road, and all of a sudden, the roof blows off.  But still, have a dealer check your VIN for the recall, and schedule the work since Ford is paying for it.

Just got word that it will be 5 to 10 business days (and this around the holidays) before my replacement glass comes in.

Debating about whether to ask the dealer for a loaner...

Moral to the "panoramic sunroof" recall story is:  if it ain't broke, you might NOT want to fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my 2015 TC back yesterday with new sunroof.  Dealer did right by me and provided a loaner.

The whole experience proved that I needed another vehicle so I shopped around and found a new 2019 XLT (100 miles) and got a fantastic deal.  No sunroof on this one.

10 hours ago, TomBanjo said:

a new 2019 XLT

Awesome.  2019 w/ 100 miles.  Never titled?  

It probably won't happen to you.  On one of our fleet deliveries, we got a brand new Ford with about 5 miles.  Yes, it was a few model years old, so the price was significantly lowered.  By sheer coincidence, my vehicle was up next and they assigned it to me.  I drove it about a year without even thinking about not having plates on it.  A year passes, no plates, and wondering if the registration expired.......I'm such an idiot. Then I brought it up.  We ran the VIN on the Highway Patrol's computer, and the VIN DID NOT EXIST.  Literally "VIN NOT ON FILE".  The VIN on the dash, matched the engine block, and frame.  All legit.  Truck came from Ford.  It wasn't a counterfeit truck or VIN plate.  DMV had no record of the VIN.  All that we had was the Bill of Lading from when the fleet order was delivered, showing that VIN delivered to us.  Long story, short; we eventually got it straightened out.

Edited by Fifty150

I bought my 2015 TC XLT from my local dealer in early 2017 with 33 miles on it.  I know it sat on lot because I kept driving by it (was driving VW Jetta diesels at the time).  It was an odd combination, SWB but loaded, might as well be Titanium.  Salesman said family buyers didn't want it because it didn't have the third seat, and it was too much for cargo buyers.  When the VW diesel fiasco came I started looking at it.  Perfect for me though, and getting near 40K on it now with no complaints, just put on some new Goodyears.

So when I saw this 2019 it was about same situation (different dealer, small town South).  This one not as loaded but enough, and almost $12K off of sticker.  They just wanted it gone.  Got it tagged and insured, so we're good to go.

Looking around now for how to put on rails since this doesn't have factory ones...

Guess it's time to stop piggy-backing this thread too!