Ford Transit Connect Forum

12volt and 110V plugs in 2021 TC

KDyer

• 1 month later...

KDyer - I just purchased a 2020 TC LWB and was stumped by the fact that all the 12v outlets remain on when the van is turned off.  I have a dash cam that is plugged in and while it does not draw much current the idea that these outlets remain on seems strange.  I've read a little about possible built-in delays or voltage regulators that switch them off when the battery gets low but cannot find anything in writing for certain.  Today I did a little experiment and it appears that the outlets will remain powered for about 15 minutes after the vehicle is turned off.  Experiment for yourself just in case there are some anomalies between models or years.

It's a Ford, so yes they stay on without the ignition. I've accidentally left my add-on satellite radio turned on in my 2015 TC XL cargo overnight several times before before (sits down in the cupholder) and it was still on the next morning. Same with my GPS occasionally randomly turning itself on for God-knows-why, although that hasn't happened in awhile now. I know there's supposed to be a low-battery safety that will kill power if the battery gets too low, but I haven't ever seen it happen, yet. My accessories are plugged into one of those little 4-port splitters and it's own cord has a small green LED in the plug that goes into the vehicle 12V port, and that's always on.  

I have a 2020 XLT. I have a inverter plugged into the front 12v power outlet. My inverter supplies power to my computer and to my Verizon Portable internet bank. 

When I turn off the vehicle, I take out the computer, but I leave everything else on. When I come back in the morning, the inverter is off, but when I start the car, it turns on. 

I have tested it at 15 mins, 30 mins, and 45mins. So far, it stays on. I assume it will turn off at 1 hour, but I do not know for sure. 

Does anyone have a definitive answer???

Kirk

I use the front outlet on my 2020 XLT to power the dash cam. I did a check once monitoring it about every half hour after shutting off the ignition. It was on after 1.5 hours but off at a little over 2 hours. So I've been going with assuming 2 hours. Haven't seen any battery drain but then again it's a fairly small dash cam.

1 hour ago, DonShockley said:

I use the front outlet on my 2020 XLT to power the dash cam. I did a check once monitoring it about every half hour after shutting off the ignition. It was on after 1.5 hours but off at a little over 2 hours. So I've been going with assuming 2 hours. Haven't seen any battery drain but then again it's a fairly small dash cam.

I thought about powering my always-on rear cam but didn't trust the outlets powering down. You can tap into 12v keyed power inside the clamshell on the windshield.

005.JPG

Edited by billet_@bellsouth.net

It may be possible to set the duration of the power port timeout using Forscan. I know this can be done on F150 trucks. I did not notice this option in Forscan on my 2016 but the 2020's have updated software and functions. Then only way to find out is to connect Forscan and see what's available.

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Figured I'd bump this one since my question is related. I just took ownership of a 21' TC XLT. I'm installing a Vantop dashcam with hardwire power. I've located fuse #6 for driver door lock figuring that will always be on, for two hours at least. The problem is, all of the fuse tap adapters are right angle for the tap and the fuses. Fuse 6 on my van is jammed between a large terminal plug and a larger fuse. No way the adapters will fit due to orientation. Does anyone know of a tap kit where the fuses are on a lead cable rather than at the plug itself? I also thought about running the power to the rear fuse box but I don't appear to have one, not that I can find anyway. I have a two kit and can see that module in the rear right access panel but there is no fuse panel in there for accessories unless it's covered.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by mdredvan

I'll have to figure out where I put them but I can send you a kit of parts you can use to make a free standing triple fuse block. Here's a photo of how I did mine on my old 2015. That setup sued three individual taps but you could just as easily use one tap for the supply, daisy chain it to all three fuses, use one output for the return line to the original fuse output and the other 2 for extra circuits.

20150807_134139.jpg