Ford Transit Connect Forum

2017 Connect- Daytime Running Lights Not On

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2017 Connect a few weeks ago.  I am pretty sure it has daytime running lights and I saw them on.  A few days ago I noticed they weren't on.  When I bought the van it only came with one key so I bought another one, had the dealer cut it and program the transponder portion of the key.  They said they couldn't get the lock/unlock function to program on the key.  I contacted the people I bought the key from.  They gave me a couple programming methods to get the lock/unlock to work on my new key.  I did the procedure and programmed the lock/unlock function on the key.  Could I have messed up the DRLs somehow when I programmed the key fob?

I searched around on the internet about turning on the DRLs and the only thing I found was to go into the menu and you can turn the DRLs on or off using the menu and the buttons on the steering wheel.  My van is a basic XL and doesn't have any steering wheel buttons.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?  Pun intended!  ?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I also have a 2017, and I know that the DRL's are an option. It's not likely they came with DRL functionality unless the original owner ordered them with it or the car had an option package with it included. Since you state you have a basic XL, it probably did not come with them. I'm not sure what you saw, but the DRL's use the low beam headlight running at a lower voltage. I also doubt the programming of the key had any affect on this. It's true that if you have DRL's they can be disabled using the steering wheel switches, but it's key cycle dependent, meaning that they will come back on after turning off and restarting the TC. But obviously, you need steering wheel switches to do this. I would search for resources to see what options the vehicle has aside from the window sticker.

You may be able to turn the DRLs on using Forscan.  My 2016 does not have the option to turn them off via the cluster menu. This is a pain because they are on whenever the ignition is on. Maybe the 2017s are better designed but your spec would let you turn them off either.

I go back and forth about disabling them with Forscan but I like the safety aspect.

Edited by Don Ridley

Zalien and Don,

I appreciate the replies and info!  I only had the van a short while before getting the backup key and programming it.  I thought I saw DRLs but I could have been mistaken.  I noticed there are little lights in the headlights that are off to the side that light up when the door is open.  I was thinking these were the DRLs but from your posts they are not.  I just looked at the window sticker and do not see any mention of DRLs.  The only option I see is package 100A and I think that is just for the reverse sensing system and flex fuel.

If possible, I would like to have DRLs, what is Forscan, can it turn on the DRL functionality?

Thanks again!

Forscan is free software that can scan for codes and read vehicle parameters. It also can make changes to the configuration of vehicle options. This function in Forscan takes some time and reading to understand and use properly. It's not factory approved and you do everything at your own risk. But it works.

See the posts in this forum that discuss Forscan (one member added cruise control). Go to forscan.org. You will need a OBDLink brand converter to connect your PC to the vehicle (do not go cheap with other brands...you are messing with the core of your vehicle).

If all this is too much, any dealer should be able to activate DRL...maybe for $200 or so. The Forscan route will cost about $70 and you will have a scan tool when you are done.