Ford Transit Connect Forum

Chopper (motorcycle) hauler

Murphys law

I bought a 2010 connect a few weeks ago on the intent of going places this coming summer with my chopper. Throw an air mattress in the back at night for “camping”. Few problems I encountered was the cargo area is very short for a full size bike. 72” from back doors to the edge of the cargo platform. My motorcycle is 90” long... I ended up making a plywood platform that puts the wheel chock between the seats. Unfortunately you lose the cup holders. And it’s a little bit of a reach with the bike in there to get to the window switches. The e-break needed to be trimmed around so it sit flush as it could. 2x4s where used under the plywood at the tunnel hump behind the center counsel and the little storage spot in the counsel to support it. A final 2x4 on edge was used to get the angle of the plywood from bowing too much.  I used the bolt holes that hold the divider to keep the plywood in place. I can’t take full credit for this idea. I seen PARR moto had a TC with a setup much like it. I actually haven’t measured it since I installed it. But I’m guessing I’m close to 96” from front of the chock to the doors.  Anyway I love this little van. Got to use it to transport my bike to a show this weekend. Worked perfect!

45E91FAB-A06A-417F-9243-CEE0C7832807.jpeg

08FFEB9D-2172-49F9-923B-755F72B9B2ED.jpeg

F37B3F75-C480-4CD6-B8CA-C64DE816DC69.jpeg

I've hauled a few standard-length motorcycles in my 2015 Gen 2 TC LWB, an XS650 and such. The front wheel sits about 3-4" or so into my arm space between the seats, but I lose something like 8-9" of roof height compared to your Gen 1. That's a pretty nifty setup you came up with! Lol

• 3 months later...

I've loaded & unloaded three different motorcycles in my van, often by myself (especially for unloading). If the tires are rolling fine and have air in them, it's not too difficult to load, although a helper is still a great thing to have. I know I've had to finagle and lean the bike sideways a bit to get handlebars & cables around parts of the van, like the upper door latch area in back (barn doors for me). 

• 2 months later...