Ford Transit Connect Forum

Misfire P0353

Dreamrider

Hi all.

2016 Transit Connect XLT, 1.6L, SWB.

I have been getting a P0353 - misfiring cyl 3. I replaced the COP, no change (shudda swapped COP with another cyl to make sure it was the COP before dropping $$$ into new COP). Swapped plugs... same... driving me nuts now! 

So, two choices left, injector, or ECM... I think...

Here is my prob; can’t find any diagrams, or literature that tells me where in the world the injectors are (suspecting they are behind the engine... yep... the part where only the hand of a mouse fits), or the ECM. I thought to ask before “going fishing” and taking every plastic piece of cr** of f the engine bay to find ‘em injectors.

Guessing - Are the injectors under the plastic cover that holds the COP’s in place?

Anybody have any images or diagrams of the engine and components... That’s another thing, there is sooooo little info online on 2016 Connect XLT. Sorta like the vehicle is a FBI secret, or something...

Thank you in advance for the time taken to read the post.

M

Edited by Dreamrider

Well, I was about to do the compression test, when everything went back to normal. Misfiring error code gone. This is weird. I am starting to think it is the ECM? Of course, a compression test is probably a good idea just to make sure.

The problem began a couple of months ago. It began misfiring after stopping to refuel during a long drive. Pulled to the side of the road, stoped the vehicle and re-started it. Problem gone. It happened again a few weeks after. A couple of weeks ago it did it first thing in the morning. It self-corrected again after re-starting the vehicle. I went ahead and changed the #3 COP. Last week it did it again. I swapped COP with another cylinder, but error persisted, with rough idling now, engine light now coming on, and still #3 cyl, even after swapping COP. Swapped spark plugs. Still a prob. But, today it is all good; smooth idling, engine light gone, no codes stored. 

I am thinking it is likely either an ECM, or an injector prob, both cheaper than a valve job, but still $$$$$.

Thank you, Fifty50. I have watched the clips from the guy on the top posted video before. Now, my COP’s do not have any oil residue, nor there is oil in the chamber, as he shows in the video. It is all clean and shiny in there.

What I am doing now if just wait-n-see. I imagine the misfire code will pop up again. The question is: will it be back on cyl #3, or, as I am hoping, cyl #1, where I swapped COP and plug to? Now, if and when it shows up again, and happens to be cyl #3, I will do a compression text on it. Otherwise, misfire shows up on cyl #1, it could be a bad COP, or plug. ACDelco... not too happy with their aftermarkets. Used their replacements a few times in ny 2001 crown vic, now at 580,000 miles, and seem to have a QA, thus durability problem.

Look online for COP alternative. Denso makes them.

Also, look at the connection. The harness plugging into the COP.  Check for damage. Inspect the wire harness. Add dielectric grease if it's dry.  

Your issue could very well be the computer. That repair from Circuit Board Medics appears to be able to fix it.

20 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Why are you using that brand? 

Actually, I was wrong. It is Duralast brand. It was the only thing the Autozone and AAP stores in town had in stock that day. Had to wait a day, or so for motorcraft. This is a working vehicle. Can’t afford it being off the road much at all.

Yep, replaced the COP connector to the harness. However, the vehicle continued a bit of rough idling after replacing the connector. Erased codes a couple of times, and immediately back to P0353. I am not sure if the codes remain stored somewhere even after erasing them. I did not erase the code the last time I tested that day. I started the car the next day, and it idled smoothly, and no code? Weird.

Yep, I think it might be my ECM. Now, where in the world is the ECM located? I have watched several yt clips, few are specific to 2016 TC XLT 1.6. Some show it being behind the driver side wheel cover. Others show it under the engine coolant overflow reservoir (if so, bad place to put the ECM, btw.)

I’d hate taking the bunch of whatevers off to get to it... and it ain’t there... 

M

Edited by Dreamrider
typos

I think the PCM is near the left headlight.  You can access it from under the car. A new unit would need to be programmed by a dealer or an indy shop with expensive Ford IDS software. A used unit from an identical vehicle may work. You may need to load your configuration file with Forscan.

But changing these modules may cause problems with key PATS or other security measures. Do it as a last resort. The Forscan forums are full of unresolved problems with PCM replacement.

Edited by Don Ridley

Remember the 1.6 is subject to Intake valve carbon deposits because it was an early Direct Injection engine and there is no cleaning action of the fuel being injected to wash the intake valves.  This condition is known to cause a cyl miss condition. 

How many miles on the Tc?  If it comes and goes it could be that.  There are several videos on that condition, check it out.

Edited by G B L

Thank you for the info Don and GBL. It has 109,000 miles. I guess that based on what GBL wrote, using Seafoam, or other fuel system “cleaners” is useless. Hmmm...

The thing is that if it was because of deposits on the intake valve, would the misfiring not go away? 

Man, I hate these “ghost” probs. Thinking that the TC is like an Apple iProduct... now it works... now it doesn’t... now it works... now it doesn’t....

On 9/11/2020 at 7:16 AM, Dreamrider said:

Seafoam, or other fuel system “cleaners” is useless. Hmmm...

You can use this it gets injected into the intake after the Mass air flow sensor , follow the directions carefully.  It can help if there is some deposits.

image.thumb.png.9fad63ba0a91dfcf0501fbf5ec6d30e5.png