Ford Transit Connect Forum

Weekend Warrior build out is pretty much complete!

I bought my 2016 TC Titanium LWB back in November of 2019 with plans of building it out. In comes the pandemic and the perfect time to stay home and get the build done. I'm going to share as much as I can and add some photos. Feel free to ask questions on our process. I'm happy to share our plans and construction. 

4 biggest goals for our build:

1. Most head and leg room possible (hubs is 6'5).

2. Be comfortable enough as a daily driver, but able to leave for adventure with everything we need at a moment's notice. 

3. Keep 4 seats (driver, passenger and 2nd row buckets).

4. Everything we do in the conversion needs to be removable/reversible, in the event that we ever need/want to sell the van.

Here's a brief explanation of what we came up with:

First we removed the 3rd row of seats. I wanted to install flooring to protect the carpet and keep it cleaner. I posted on a local neighborhood site and was able to score some FREE linoleum flooring. After removing a few other items, we were able to easily cut the flooring to size, tuck it under the edges of the plastic and use a staple gun to keep it in place. EASY!

Then we built a frame. This was a bit of trial and error, but we had some help and were able to make it very sturdy and it is easily removable. We added high quality solid wood plywood sheet (3/4 inch) to the top to make the platform. We then cut a second piece that slides on top of the 'box platform'. This is so we can use the second row of seats and easily fold them down and slide the second wood piece forward to make the full platform bed. You can see this in the photos. The top of frame base is slightly longer than the stationary bed platform piece. We did this so we could easily secure the second slide over bed platform piece in place with simple drilled holes in the extended  base pieces and some bolts with wing nuts. We have holes and bolts on both sides, so the platform piece can slide forward and secure to make the length of the bed and stay put while driving 

We bought small tubber wares that fit under one side of the platform box for storage. I built a custom drawer for the other side. The custom drawer fits my stove and most of my essential camp cooking stuff. 

We later added another stored piece of plywood (1/2 inch) cut narrow and long to make a convertible table for cooking space while standing under the hatch. 

Other additions: Custom cut foam with removable upholstery with zippers (so I can easily remove and wash). Custom bug netting. 

There's a lot of other stuff that I'm leaving out, but if you are interested, AMA. ? Happy to share my ideas and methods. 

IMG_7508.JPG

IMG_7512 2.JPG

IMG_7526 2.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...