Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rearview mirror camera

My 2020 TC has a backup camera that displays on the screen only when in reverse (and no rearview mirror-which is very disconcerting).  If i buy a digital rearview mirror, can the backup camera be tapped into to always display on it? Or will i have to buy a separate camera to go w the rearview mirror?

I really appreciate the help folks on this site share.

Pretty sure you'd have to add a camera. That's what I did to my full size Transit. It came with the stupid rearview in the mirror. Problem is that it was so small it was dificult for me to see. I added a camera mounted on the 3rd brake light that was always on. I plan on going the same thing with my TC. Since I don't have back glass I like to be able to see whats going on behind me.

I had hoped there was some hack available that would allow the OEM camera to remain on, but apparently there isn't, so I'll do my own.

IMG_0866.JPG

Thumbs.db

The OE camera runs through the CANBUS like everything else, it's not like the universal ones that have easy separate power & video feeds. What you want to do will require a camera & screen kit.

As far as I've ever noticed, only the vans with NO windows in the back doors have no mirror on the windshield (mine is one of 'em, zero windows behind the driver), because it wouldn't do anything except show the cargo inside. All the rear-window vans I've seen have the inside mirror, so are you saying you have back door windows and no inside mirror? I get by just fine with only the side mirrors and have for many years & vehicles (even window vehicles with inside mirrors - I don't use it); no cameras, gadgets, sensors or doodads, lol. Last summer, I did finally upgrade to the 'large' OEM mirrors since mine came with the 'small' mirrors. Gives a little better view, IMO. Only place I need to be careful is backing out of spots in public parking lots like Walmart because people are morons stuck to their phone screens instead of paying attention to their surroundings - they don't even notice (or maybe just don't care) my strobe lights flashing in their face at near-eye-level, just above the taillight assemblies. A lot of people just keep on walking right by, although some do pay attention and stop so they don't get run over, haha.

Here's a comparison shot of the mirrors, in case you want to consider the upgrade. The one thing I don't like is that the wide-angle mirror on the large one is not adjustable and it's clearly turned in just a bit too much, but I suppose that works perfect for shorter drivers close to the steering wheel. My phone/camera is positioned as close to where my left eye sits while driving as I could get it, too. So it's as apples-to-apples as I could manage to shoot freehand. 

Mirror_Collage.thumb.png.8195c27d13c037fc068ac28402ea8077.png