Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Transit Connect - aftermarket wiring and harness woes

I've decided to get myself an aftermarket unit to replace the very basic stock radio system in my 2014 Transit Connect.
The stock radio unit I have has AM/FM/AUX, 2 front speakers. Nothing else. No steering wheel controls or native navigation systems.
There is one main plug harness that connects into my current vehicle stereo. Other connections are for the Air Bag light, 4-ways and radio antenna.

Unfortunately, the Axxess-5524-NAV cable I got from Amazon has some of the wires designated (eg Accessory RED) that only feed out to the aftermarket radio after connecting into the plug for the Axxess NAV portion (it's a black box with a plug connector tied into it. That was just one of a few I noticed were not tied-in directly from the main harness. I suspect I need everything correctly connected between the main harness and the radio connector to make it work right? I also didn't see where the wires designated for the CAN-Bus line of my aftermarket stereo tie into this Axxess harness.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these radio connector harnesses that I could use to connect the wires from the aftermarket stereo harness to the vehicle harness?
Or should I be looking to buy a different wiring harness all together?

I will include photos both of the stock unit and of the aftermarket bundle

Stock Connectors and Wires
1398498937_transitconnectstockwiringharnessestoradio.thumb.jpg.f87c2899e145fcd852bb329ebf954ec9.jpg

Stock Radio Wiring Harness

565083710_transitconnectstockplugharness.thumb.jpeg.ba718665b52b722d84a966213c1e5bbf.jpeg

Aftermarket - Axxess 5524 NAV wiring harness

285034724_Axxess5534wiringharness.thumb.jpg.d5d26853cb027f81f73aaeccbb698e75.jpg

Showing the aftermarket radio connector on the far right

1474208484_transitconnectaxxessharness3.thumb.jpg.21a3f2caeffb2b696c43b11f10a870c6.jpg

Aftermarket radio harness is now on the far left. Notice how the Red wire (Accessory) does not connect into the main harness? A few others are not connected to the main harness either.

1083230217_Axxess5524wiringharnessbackside.thumb.jpg.30bb1f4bd54f71a22e315699113d777d.jpg

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've tried glossing over the forums here but did not see this topic covered.

The connector in your photograph is C240A on the ACM in the wiring diagrams. Here are two more diagrams that will have the rest of the C240A connections identified. Look at the label next on the wires going into the ACM to find the C240A pin number. The pin numbers are on the plug (your photo) and the connector on the ACM. 

I don't have a simple view of the connector with each pin identified but you should be able to identify each wire and pin from the set of wiring diagrams.

ACM_2 wiring diagrams.pdf

Edited by Don Ridley

Much thanks, I will take some time to peruse the data and see what I can get set up for myself.

I'm hoping a direct connection of the wires to the harness will give me a fully functioning aftermarket stereo. I will update when I have any progress.

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:13 PM, TC2014 said:

Much thanks, I will take some time to peruse the data and see what I can get set up for myself.

I'm hoping a direct connection of the wires to the harness will give me a fully functioning aftermarket stereo. I will update when I have any progress.

Hello TC2014..!

Did you replace the basic radio with an aftermarket radio..?

Any luck with the cables hardness?

I'm looking info to do the same , I have the AM/FM basic radio and want an android headunit! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gentlemen, I thank you for your patience. I had forgotten to check back and update you all on what I discovered.

Let me get around to answering all the questions:

Firstly - Yes, I was able to successfully place an aftermarket radio into my 2014 Transit Connect. Due to the price and options of the aftermarket radio I picked up, this is why I had to do my own wiring. The radio is some kinda knockoff Chinese manufacturer that has a lot of features I was looking for: GPS, Bluetooth connectivity, Built-in Microphone, Auxillary 3.5mm jack, even a CD/DVD player, as well as physical buttons and a dial for controls. Sadly it isn't perfect. There's ton's of usability issues like the radio might toggle to FM radio if I press the Bluetooth input button, and the GPS is a frustrating joke, not to mention it is impossible to set the time on it but given the price I've just had to live with it. I desperately needed Bluetooth over everything else so at least I got that going for me, which was nice. Otherwise I would not recommend it. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0792V5KZN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now getting to the crux of the issue at hand - the dreaded ACCESSORY wire we need for all of our aftermarket radios to work. I ended up stumbling upon the Metra 70-5524 for the Ford Fiesta 2011-(and up) from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ANAHEQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1   

That harness has the proper position on the RED wire which connects with the OEM Ford ACM Harness ACCESSORY wire so the radio will turn on when the IGNITION has been turned to either ACCESSORY or ON. I did not make note at the time of what PIN position the read wire was on in comparison to the other wiring harness I had used before. I know the PINs can be re-arranged if you have the correct pick tool if you have the patience for that

As far as trying to swap in a newer model radio, I have no idea if that would work or not. You would have to cross-reference if the wiring is the same. I would assume if there isn't too much of a change from the wiring and the design of the radio itself, I wouldn't see why not. If you end up doing that swap, and you are successful, give us some photos and a blurb. I'd be curious to know if it would work.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, Jmariano said:

Any luck with this? 

is possible to upgrade the entire unit ?

i am looking to replace my stock radio and upgrade it with one 2019 sync3 display radio

or any other if possible

I also replaced my basic AM/FM radio in my 2014 TC XL. Here is some info to help anyone else. This wiring pinout is from my original radio plug, it may be a little different if you have other radio than the am/fm basic radio.

I installed an Android headunit

8 inches screen.

20211124_134611.jpg

20211124_134651.jpg

SmartSelect_20220116-215212_Samsung Notes.jpg

SmartSelect_20220116-221752_eBay.jpg

Edited by Jseda
Add info

4 hours ago, mrtn said:

Original plug colors are not universal. Different trim levels have completely different colors.

Yeah different colors and different plug wiring pinout .

The one I posted is from my 2014 TC xl basic am/fm radio.

Also the radio harness adapter will be different depends in the TC trim.

• 1 month later...

@Jseda, So did you use the Metra 70-5524 adapter in stead of the expensive wiring harness recommended by Metra? The radio on my TC (basic AM/FM) is toast, and for what it would cost to replace the stock stereo it looks like I'd be able to get a nicer touchscreen if I do it myself. I've never done this before though, so the wiring is a bit intimidating.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, bostintransit said:

@Jseda, So did you use the Metra 70-5524 adapter in stead of the expensive wiring harness recommended by Metra? The radio on my TC (basic AM/FM) is toast, and for what it would cost to replace the stock stereo it looks like I'd be able to get a nicer touchscreen if I do it myself. I've never done this before though, so the wiring is a bit intimidating.

I used this one in this picture but the one from metra should work.

SmartSelect_20220116-221752_eBay.thumb.jpg.1f362f3c7eb745cc4048f3d010dcb081.jpg

On 3/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, bostintransit said:

If you have the basic am/fm radio you don't need any expensive adapter, just the one I posted 

3 hours ago, Jseda said:

If you have the basic am/fm radio you don't need any expensive adapter, just the one I posted 

That's great - I found a similar one on amazon. Did you have to mess with the pins at all? From what I've read, it looks like it will all line up as long as you match what each wire dooes (regardless of the colors in use).

Thanks!

In my case , the harness I used had the same colors in the speakers wires as the harness from my aftermarket radio, don't remember about the power wires the colors, it's not to hard if you can send me a picture of you Factory radio plug to see the colors and I could help you

Also if you see the picture of the wires adapter I posted before, that one has a few others wires that other similar adapter doesn't come with, I used it for connect the illumination wire if you buy the other one with fewer wires you won't be able to use the dim option when you turn on the vehicle lights.

I just ordered all my parts, if I get stuck I'll post pictures here.

What kind of stereo did you install? I'm trying a touchscreen one that supports android auto but with wires. Looks like I'll need to have those connections coming through the panel, i'm wondering if you had to deal with that too.

14 minutes ago, bostintransit said:

I just ordered all my parts, if I get stuck I'll post pictures here.

What kind of stereo did you install? I'm trying a touchscreen one that supports android auto but with wires. Looks like I'll need to have those connections coming through the panel, i'm wondering if you had to deal with that too.

Here is my radio, android headunit 8" screen. Yes I'm using USB cable also with android auto 

20220201_153821.jpg

20220130_222123.jpg

Edited by Jseda

45 minutes ago, bostintransit said:

That looks great! Did you incorporate the stock backup camera into the new head unit? I got a smaller Boss unit that fits right into the dash, so I should still be able to use the existing small screen for that.

My van had no camera, so I installed one cheap from ebay, isn't so great but is better than nothing,  look fine but is pointing too much to the ground,  which could point it a little bit up. 

Is this one in the picture

SmartSelect_20220310-110404_eBay.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 10:30 PM, Jseda said:

In my case , the harness I used had the same colors in the speakers wires as the harness from my aftermarket radio, don't remember about the power wires the colors, it's not to hard if you can send me a picture of you Factory radio plug to see the colors and I could help you

I finally got around to connecting everything,  but when I turned the car on the stero didn't power up. I matched all the wires between the adapter and the stereo and crimped them, but I'm wondering if something is off. I noticed that the adapter I got (Metra 70-5524) has two red wires - one of which is marked "2011 Fiesta only". If that was mis-labelled, that might explain the problem. Alternately, the stereo might be a dud, but tha's harder to check. The support tech from the radio manufacturer said that you can actually test that by touching a couple of cables (the red and yellow I think) to the battery terminals and using the ground as well to see if the radio starts up, but that's a pain in the ass on the Transit because the negative terminal is stuck way back under the windshield and hard to access (p). lus that sounds a little scary).

Here is the connection from the car:

20220315_133327.thumb.jpg.1897348da921c428b88c7c560ae79a7a.jpg

And here is the wiring harness adapter:

20220315_134007.thumb.jpg.7dc0e605fa2b52c9eb1c176e078d1e38.jpg

Any suggestions?