Ford Transit Connect Forum

Sleeping capacity of 2014 TC Wagon XLT LWB

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. We're considering buying a 2014 or newer TC Wagon (LWB) for a camper conversion. Our plan is to buy it now and convert it in a couple of years to a pop top. We have two small children (ages 5 and 2) and we're wondering if we could all fit to sleep in the cargo area with the 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down while the kids are still small. Looking at the dimensions, it appears this configuration would give us about 10 feet in length and 4 feed in width. So technically, it appears we would fit just barely with the kids sleeping perpendicular and below/above us, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience trying this.

Thanks!

Almost. Two adults and one small kid is comfortable longitudinally. If one of the kids agrees to sleep across then it's probably okay. 

The actual usable length without converting anything is about 7 ft. 10 ft is against the dashboard.

The usable floor length of LWB behind the front seats is right about 7ft. Y'all might consider something like this homemade 'front seat cot' for one of the kids? Pics are from Google Images search, so I don't know the kid or parents, lol. But I've seen several different versions of the cot before, DIY or modifying one from the store. Just something to give you ideas, lol. The vans in these pics look to be full-size, so they're wider than our Transit Connects, but I'd bet y'all could probably still get a couple years of the 2yo sleeping in a TC-sized front cot, at least. 

Front_Seat_Cot2.jpg

Front_Seat_Cot.jpg

Check out  http://www.camper-van-fun.com/mini-camper.html 

Its a european site but has some great ideas for camper conversion. There's also some north american content.

Please note, as many on this forum will agree, that cargo models are easiser to convert to campers, but if you have kids you'll want proper(safe) seating, so a wagon would be better.

Edited by Gideon
add info