Ford Transit Connect Forum

2016 Ford Connect Installing Roof Rails Turtle Can Carry

• 1 month later...

Those rails shouldn't have noticeable wind noise because there's only a few square inches cutting through the wind. My ladder rack bars do have some extra wind noise & MPG hit, though, even with that "spoiler" on the front side of the first bar. But then, running General Grabber AT2's in 215/65R16 had already lowered my mileage a bit anyway (after adjusting for the speedometer/odometer difference due to the larger tire diameter), lol. 

Those raised rails look pretty nice, though! 

Ladder_Rack01.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got this and it's "ok". Not very HD imo.  When fastened tightly the rail still wiggles when you grab it.  ?

Mounting bolts seem small for what it's doing and the rail sits on hard plastic pieces that don't fasten to anything.

At half the price of the Thule it will work for my casual use hauling 40lbs of paddleboards an hour to the lake.

But if I was going to load it heavily and/or use it a lot, i'd be returning it and spending more money.  FWIW

3 hours ago, MLB said:

I got this and it's "ok". Not very HD imo.  When fastened tightly the rail still wiggles when you grab it.  ?

Mounting bolts seem small for what it's doing and the rail sits on hard plastic pieces that don't fasten to anything.

At half the price of the Thule it will work for my casual use hauling 40lbs of paddleboards an hour to the lake.

But if I was going to load it heavily and/or use it a lot, i'd be returning it and spending more money.  FWIW

@MLB -  Keep in mind that the weight of your SUP isn't the determining factor in how durable the rack needs to be. It's the uplifting force the size of the board creates when driving, more so at higher speeds. One place not to economize is with a rack system while traveling 70 mph down a highway with a large object strapped to the rooftop. I wouldn't take that risk but to each his own. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, windguy said:

@MLB -  Keep in mind that the weight of your SUP isn't the determining factor in how durable the rack needs to be. It's the uplifting force the size of the board creates when driving, more so at higher speeds. One place not to economize is with a rack system while traveling 70 mph down a highway with a large object strapped to the rooftop. I wouldn't take that risk but to each his own. Good luck!

The boards barely extend past the front and rear of the van. Very little lift. 

On 8/3/2020 at 3:47 PM, jrm223 said:

Those rails shouldn't have noticeable wind noise because there's only a few square inches cutting through the wind. My ladder rack bars do have some extra wind noise & MPG hit, though, even with that "spoiler" on the front side of the first bar. But then, running General Grabber AT2's in 215/65R16 had already lowered my mileage a bit anyway (after adjusting for the speedometer/odometer difference due to the larger tire diameter), lol. 

Those raised rails look pretty nice, though! 

Ladder_Rack01.jpg

Oh heck no!  Add quite a bit of wind noise on the highway.  Worse with the cross pieces of course, but still there without.  Deer whistles are pretty tiny.  ;)

On 10/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, MLB said:

Oh heck no!  Add quite a bit of wind noise on the highway.  Worse with the cross pieces of course, but still there without.  Deer whistles are pretty tiny.  ;)

I have zero headliner in the van still (plan to insulate at some point, as long as it's out) and the additional wind noise from adding the rack really wasn't very much more compared to just the empty cargo van. A little bit more, but not anything crazy, lol. I also have General Grabber AT2 all-terrain truck tires; but I've had trucks with full mud tires before, talk about road noise! Haha