Ford Transit Connect Forum

Swapping Third Brake Light 2010 Connect

Yikes, we're DIY-ing a transit connect mini camper van conversion and messed up on the fan install. The fan is in, but we focused so much on measuring the size of the hole we were cutting that we didn't realize the high mounted third brake fixture was going to prevent the fan from closing all the way :( amateur hour here.

Does anyone know of any fixtures that lay flat on the roof? Or how hard it would be to have the third brake on the roof removed and have one instead put into the upper left door? It looks like our van has a spot for that already ...

Back of Transit.jpg

An adapter plate is sold on EBay that fill in the roof ridges for the gen2 TC. The plate makes a flat service to mount the fan. Mounting the fan on the plate raises the fan around 3/8". The plate plus a shim should let the fan close.  Ford Transit Connect Roof Vent Adapter for first generation 2002-2013

Edited by collinjx

21 hours ago, mrtn said:

You can get the original door mounted third brake light from ebay.

And they're federally illegal in the US. Over here, a "third brake light" or CHMSL - Center High-Mount Stop Lamps - is required to be on the centerline of the vehicle. That's the reason why Ford switched the North America-spec vans to the rooftop brake light, we can't have offset. Now, whether Jessica could get away with it or not depends on her local state/area and police, specifically whether they are knowledgeable about the centerline requirement. 

As collinjx recommended, I'd go with some sort of spacer to lift the fan up slightly. All big box stores (HD, Lowes, etc) sell sheets of plastic, y'all could buy a piece and cut it into a spacer that matches the base? I don't know if anyplace sells pre-cut spacers, but the DIY option can be done right away today or this weekend.

Yes, but AFAIK, those standards only apply to manufacturers.
Oregon, for example, only requires TWO rear brake lights. And no law prohibits removing safety equipment. Only pollution control equipment.
(Technically, you could remove your seatbelts in Oregon, except that another law requires you to use them!)

Check your state's laws.

You can find lots of dealers in England on eBay that will sell you a used one for too much money.
Search for "high-level brake light, Ford Transit Connect."

PS. When you go to Lowes to buy plugs for the holes for the old light, they're all different sizes! I guess that's to prevent the factory workers from putting the light on backwards?

2 hours ago, jrm223 said:

And they're federally illegal in the US. Over here, a "third brake light" or CHMSL - Center High-Mount Stop Lamps - is required to be on the centerline of the vehicle. That's the reason why Ford switched the North America-spec vans to the rooftop brake light, we can't have offset. 

I know that, I have mentioned it before. However, looking from this side of the pond, the freedom of unsafe modifications you see on the US streets is dumbfounding. Slightly offset third brake light not meeting safety requirements seems odd. It's pretty common over here.

Renault_master_rear.jpg

On 6/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, mrtn said:

Slightly offset third brake light not meeting safety requirements seems odd. It's pretty common over here.

I'm betting there is no stipulation on that side of the pond requiring them to be actually centered. Most of the EU-spec vehicle pics I've seen all have them on a door or hatch, mounted near the centerline if mounted in barn doors like that.

Our bureaucrats crafting the CHMSL statute back in the mid-to-late-1980's decided they were going to require US-spec vehicles to have them only on the centerline of the vehicle. Very few of our vehicles have rear fog lights here, either - from what I understand, they're nearly a standard feature on your side of the pond. The statutes & regulations are very different and what's over there has no real effect on how things are done here, so it's still irrelevant at the end of the day.