Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rack, Awning + Window screens

I haven't posted much here after my initial research phase and final purchase of my van. We're starting to buy accessories and make plans for the build out, so I'm making an effort share my progress, other findings, and purchases with other TC enthusiasts here. 

I purchased and installed a rack/cross bars system two weeks ago, I went with the Thule system. I'll list the parts below. Side bar: the customer service at e-trailers.com was superb, I would recommend doing business with that company. 

TH712400    Thule SquareBar Crossbars 

TH710601    Evo Flush Rail Feet for Thule Crossbars - Flush Side Rails

TH186032    Fit Kit for Thule Evo Flush Roof Rack Feet 

It definitely wasn't the cheapest way to get outfitted with a rack. There are some systems on e-bay that are cheaper, but the convenience and fast shipping was really what I needed at the time. 

The other accessory that I wanted to share about is the awning I purchased. I found it on Camping World's website, it was the least expensive and simplest system I could find. We're modifying the brackets to install it, because I don't want to drill holes in my new cross bars. Initially, I'm impressed with the quality of the awning for the price. 

If you are looking for an inexpensive awning option, here's the link to the awning:

https://www.campingworld.com/trustmade-6.5'-x-6.5'-car-rooftop-pull-out-awning-shelter-black-118964.html

We also purchased, just today, some slide on window netting. We live in a warmer climate in summer, so windows down for sleeping in the van is required but can get buggy. We're testing these slide on window coverings that promote air flow, but keep bugs out. These came on recommendation from a friend who van camps/sleeps a lot.

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VPMVD4H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will test everything this weekend camping and report back, and post some pictures too. 

• 1 month later...

52 minutes ago, REI_Grande said:

What size for the bug nets? Did you just do the front windows or the rear ones too?

For the front doors, get the XXXL as his post shows and gives a link to. They were out-of-stock several weeks back when I ordered, so I just went with XL size since the measurements looked okay and they ended up a bit too small; they leave a sizable gap along the bottom inside & outside. The mirrors are what get in the way, so the XXXL keeps things closed up better to keep bugs out. 

The screens won't fit over the sliding doors because the slider hardware is in the way. Standard window screen and some Velcro could take care of those windows on a wagon pretty easily, though. When mounted inside, you wouldn't even need to take them off unless you actually wanted to. 

I took a couple pics yesterday of the XL-size screen. You'll see that I pull the outside down as much as I can, still leaves about an inch gap along the bottom outside, though - and that's with the mirrors folded in. It ends up with a big gap on the inside (that black band in the pic), but I figure having the smallest gap possible outside is better, instead of two equal sized gaps, lol. Y'all should have a much better experience with the XXXL, instead.

IMG_2020-07-08_17-31-22.jpeg

IMG_2020-07-08_17-31-41.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

@jrm223 and @REI_Grande the ones pictured above that @jrm223 has are the same as I have. They work great. We made a custom bug net for our back hatch, so we can keep it open at night, and I'm currently working on the sliding doors. These that we purchased from Amazon won't work on the sliding side doors because of the door mechanism. I'm not keeping with my updates on my build out, but getting ready to post about it. You'll see my custom back hatch netting there. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thread is a little old, but quick question for drh14 -- was this rack setup for a van that had the stock roof rails, or was your roof completely bare?

Mine has no rails, just little rubber caps every 8" or so that look like rack mounting points. I've read that this makes finding/installing a rack more difficult -- any thoughts?

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Wondering if folks could suggest an affordable roof rack and awning set-up for a ford transit connect 2013? Doing a desert trip in the next little while. Can go second hand for sure:). Most curious if folks have come across good/affordable awning brand/model for the TC?
Many thanks in advance!