Ford Transit Connect Forum

New TC owner building motovan

Humbugtru

Hi - new to the forum here.  I just purchased a 2014 TC and am in the process of swapping in a Euro spec 1.6 l tdci (115PS) with 6 speed manual.  Everything is in, just working through the software gremlins.  Since we cannot get these diesel manual drive trains configured in a TC in the US, I figured I would build one.  I wanted a motovan that got good fuel economy and was a manual so I could tow it behind my motorhome (with a bike in the back of course).  Below are pictures of the old 2.5 l petrol drive train removed and the new Diesel installed...Once I get it going I have some more plans for it.  Thanks everyone on this forum who proved for me that a dirtbike could fit in the back of one of these....

Thanks,

Chris

20200307_134224.jpg

20200308_210410.jpg

It all fit right in perfectly.  There was even a hole with a pug in it for the clutch pedal.   Fuel tank was tricky as I had to convert the petrol one to diesel (pull pump delete).  The hardest part was the engine bay wire harness.  I had to build that from the schematics.  I am now having PATS issues due to the donor vehicle (focus) had keyless ignition (push button start) with the PATS functionality in the door module.  The focus PCM would not flash to a TC software level.  The Ford service parts for the PCMs are different so there is a hardware difference.  Working on sourcing a TC PCM from the EU.  Stay tuned...

13 hours ago, G B L said:

Cool you must be in a non inspection state.  Here they do a scan once a year and that swap would not pass.  Love to know where you are going to register it.

He could register it in Mississippi, no problem.  We have never had an exhaust sniffer test of any kind and a few years ago, they abandoned the $5 annual state test which only checked to see if your lights, wipers and horn worked, so now we have no vehicle inspections of any kind  -  Nada, nil, zero!

Don

On 5/30/2020 at 11:19 AM, Beta Don said:

so now we have no vehicle inspections of any kind

Cool, Here they have an OBD 2 scan on cars less than 15 years old. The State also checks for brakes and body rust which is an issue here.

Edited by G B L

We have a biannual (or annual on commercial vehicles or after the ninth year for private cars) inspection: exhaust sniffer, visual overview, tires, lights with aiming check, shock and brake tests, fire extinguisher date etc.

Edited by mrtn