Ford Transit Connect Forum

Dim headlights, high beam switch won't stay on

My headlights have suddenly become very dim.  Could be the alternator, but I don't seem to be losing battery power.  Another issue is that I can't seem to get the brights to stay switched on.  They only work when I keep holding the switch back.  Any ideas?  2010 Transit Connect 2.0L.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Unsure of where to start, I replaced the high beam switch / turn signal, since it needed to be done anyway, in order for my high beams would stay on without me holding the switch back the whole time. That was it. My low beams are as bright as they should be now.

22 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

The behavior seems like the lights are "off" and you are seeing the daytime running lights only. Can you turn the lights off? What about parking lights?

It was a bad high-beam/turnsignal switch/stalk, he already replaced it and is A-OK now, lol. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2020 at 4:52 AM, ArtCFartC said:

Unsure of where to start, I replaced the high beam switch / turn signal, since it needed to be done anyway, in order for my high beams would stay on without me holding the switch back the whole time. That was it. My low beams are as bright as they should be now.

Thank you for this. I just bought a 2012 ford transit and I have the exact problem! can't drive before sunup or after dusk. excited to try your solution!!!

I had the same exact problem with my Explorer and Taurus.  Ford sources these same parts, from the same supplier, who makes poor quality parts?  It seems like the same things fail on all Fords.  Multifunction switch.  Headlight switch.  Interior door handles.  Interior door window and lock switches.  That cheap piece of plastic on the end of the steel cable, inside of the doors, that pull the locking latch when you pull on the handle.  The list is quite long.