Ford Transit Connect Forum

Shelter In Place

Fifty150

Where I live, we have been staying home since Monday.  Mayor's orders.  Today is Sunday. Anyone else sitting at home?

Boredom has set in. I'm now thinking of performing unneeded service on the cars.  Oil change, spark plugs.......For no reason.

Then there is no eating out. I have had to make my own food.  Today's meal was born out of cabin fever. 

I like steak and eggs. 

I like tomato beef. 

I like tomato and eggs.

Then there's my lunch of all 3 combined.

nonfeature-green-eggs-steak-recipe_copy.jpg

ThaiBeefSalad-735x735.jpg

images.jpeg

PSX_20200322_130759.jpg

We have a semi-lockdown. No actual restrictions other than public entertainment is closed and no gatherings allowed, including schools. I'll be going to the office tomorrow but it's quiet so shorter days.

Edited by mrtn

Still working in California. Since I work in the auto repair business, it's an exemption to shelter in place. So I am grateful for the income as I'm the main breadwinner in the family. My wife was told to stay home and last Friday they laid her off. We'll be fine. We have enough food and supplies for at least a month. I did spend the entire weekend at home. Many around the house projects including detailing the TC would be on the list if I had to stay put. But, not complaining, we are healthy and feeling great. Still lots of uncertainty out there though, with the Governor threatening Martial Law if people disobey the order. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

I work at a drinking water treatment plant. The only people who are getting to stay home during the "shelter in place" for our county is the management staff. All the operators are still working but social distancing means all overlap between shifts have been cut out so you have to do all the work alone. Normal for me since I work the midnight shift, but the day and evening shifts are used to working together on multi-person jobs during the afternoon overlap. Overall, a few less hours per week but much busier.

I've been pretty much holed up since the first of March with only a couple trips to the grocery store. Lucky enough to live in a county where they have shut down access to all but residents. We are not on official lockdown. Can't figure out why people are complaining about this "social distancing" thing. Hell, I've been practicing social distancing most of my adult life, with people in general not being my favorite species of animal.

I do miss the toilet paper though.....?

4 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I do miss the toilet paper

Costco $16.99 30 rolls.

Target $17.49 12 rolls.

Sure, it's not the same. Thicker paper, softer, 2 ply, linear feet, sheets per roll........  Sometimes you don't have a choice.  If toilet paper is sold out everywhere, then you buy whatever is available, where ever you find it, and at whatever the price.  

People hoard out of instinct. I don't blame them.  If I could, I would stock up on fuel while the price of gas is low.  Sugar, flour, rice.......the list is long.  It does create an artificial change in supply vs demand, and causes a temporary inflation. When so many people are suddenly without income, the poor have to pay more.   

Feelings of desperation and hopelessness. Depression soars. People behave out of character.  Some people will find ways to profit at another's misery.  

This whole experience has been insightful.  

Double check availability. I've seen a lot of the big box stores listing in stock, then you click thru to check your local store for pickup, and you'll see some crapola about 0 of 1400 in stock or some such nonsense, followed by a "not available on web" message.

Edited by sKiZo

We visited our oldest son in Jan Jose at the end of Feb.  Flew home on March 4th! Got out just in time.  His wife is from Southern China and they went to China for Christmas.  Her mother became sick with something that sounded like appendicitis and almost died.  He flew back on January 2nd.  Showed my a photo of his plane ticket where he changed planes in Wuhan!!!!  Too close!  His wife can back a couple of weeks later, just a few days before everything was shut off.  They are fine but sheltering in place.  We are sheltering in place although my wife has to take her 91yo mother to doctors appointments.  My TC has been out of the garage one time since mid February!  A couple of days ago I went over to our daughter's and watched her 6 yo twins while she made a run to Costco and Home Depot.  I used to take them to lunch all the time so we made it a lunch outing.  We sat on the deck and ate our fast fool lunch while keeping like 10 feet apart.  Daughter sent a text message TP in the wild!  Costco had some in stock so she bought a package for us to share.  We don't have a stockpile so it was a welcome find.  LOL I had ridden my scooter over there so rode it back with a package of TP on the floorboards.  If I need to go check on mother-in-law or take something to the grandkids my primary transportation is my scooter.  See lots of families out walking, most folks are working hard to self isolate.

In January I bought a 3D printer and have had lots of fun finding and printing stuff.  Grandkids have enjoyed all of the toys I've made for them.  Latest one was a corona monster.  Our youngest son is a second year resident so we are a little concerned about him.  He is currently working in OB but if things get bad will be pressed into service taking care of corona patients.

IMG_3638.jpeg

3 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

oldest son in Jan Jose

Santa Clara County has a lot of cases.

3 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I had ridden my scooter over there so rode it back with a package of TP on the floorboards

You may need a cool, hipster messenger bag.  Timbuk2 is Made In San Francisco.  Have your son pick 1 up at the factory outlet store, and send it to you.  I use mine when I go grocery shopping on the Harley.  Other guys on Harleys think it's not consistent with the image they are trying to cultivate.  But I don't care.  That's why I don't join their clubs, and wear their patches.  

5 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Double check availability. I've seen a lot of the big box stores listing in stock, then you click thru to check your local store for pickup, and you'll see some crapola about 0 of 1400 in stock or some such nonsense, followed by a "not available on web" message.

Nobody is allowing you to buy online, and pickup in store. Once it's at the store, it's 1st come, 1st served.  All luck of the draw.  If you show up when it's still on the shelf, it's yours.  Once everybody has 100 rolls in their house, they will stop buying. Then we can all go back to buying 6 rolls at a time.  

I'm not sure what happened. I think the bank was robbed today.  Cops everywhere.

unnamed.jpg

PSX_20200327_201535.jpg

I like that messenger bag.  Typically i just use the undersea space on the scooter and if that's not enough will hang grocery bags from hook above the floorboards.  I loved the area out there, was a lot of fun and the drivers are better than here.  Still not used to having motorcycles lane split.  Still hoping this clears up enough so I can do a solo motorcycle trip out there late in the summer.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, Fifty150 said:

People hoard out of instinct. I don't blame them.

TP is the least of anyone's concern.

I was just joking around a little but in reality there's nothing to joke about. It is disturbing to me people who aren't taking this thing seriously. NC goes on lockdown tomorrow and I'm glad for it.

And that tomato beef looks mighty damned good.

Edited by OLDSCHOOLFOOL

Being in New York, this pandemic is truly nothing to joke about... although humor is usually what makes the journey called life worth taking.  Everyone... stay smart and stay safe.

Edited by PWFX

I'm a service mechanic for a company involved in road construction so I've been considered essential. People in Tennessee aren't taking this serious! Coming home one night passing through Dayton, Tn there were people everywhere at 10pm on a weekday! I guess meth dealers don't make home deliveries! Both my wife and I are still working but if people don't start taking this seriously it will go on for ever! My family all live in Louisiana and most are out of work right now. It"s not good down there. Can't stop Cajuns from partying!

James

Edited by JamesRich

On 3/23/2020 at 8:49 PM, zalienz said:

Governor threatening Martial Law

That could solve a lot of other issues also. We would be in a different mindset. In order to preserve human life, we exchange our way of life.  Necessary items would be rationed and distributed by soldiers, to prevent panic buying and hoarding.  All movements will be restricted by way of checkpoints and road closures.  Civil Rights would not apply as soldiers take our DNA and test every person door to door - as this would be "reasonable search & seizure".  We will all be implanted with a chip like dogs at the pound.  A rebel subculture of Transit Connect owners would flee for the hills, where they establish pockets of resistance to government tyranny and oppression.  They camp in their little vans, stage raids on Costco for toilet paper,  and say things like, "better to have a fever, standing up on my own 2 feet, than live on my knees, at the feet of President AOC"

NYC is now a very different place.  

To those who don't think they will be affected by this outbreak, think again.  

I now know too many folks who are ill, and a few who are no longer with us.  

Stay smart and stay safe...

Edited by PWFX

I went out to pickup some Chinese sausage and bacon. There was an uneasy tension everywhere I went.  People looked and acted scared.  I thought it was just my imagination, running away with me.  Then I noticed that security cameras were turning to focus in on me.  Can you believe that? Racial discrimination.  In this day and age.  I'm outraged. Petrified and mortified.  

psx_20200401_140921-jpg.224277

psx_20200401_130051-jpg.224276

Everything has changed. For those who survive physically and financially, the cultural changes are going to be massive. No going outside without a mask anymore. No more restaurants. No more churches. Any live gathering is history. NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA, NASCAR, MLS, all gone. Like iRacing? Get used to it because once the powers that be future out e-games are just a popular and vastly less expensive, that's all we're going to get. Welcome to the brave new world.

We've been home bound now for 3 weeks.  Things are a bit different here in the deep south.  People believed the president when he said we had nothing to worry about and one day we'll wake up and miraculously, it will just be all gone.  Even some states around here which have issued lock down orders have made exemptions for churches.  I guess true believers know God will protect them and they won't get sick . . . . and spread it to everyone else

It's a great time to be retired, financially independent and have a super medical plan (retired military) I tell you.  Millions of people are out of work and really hurting . . . . and it's only just begun.  I'm afraid some form of all this will be with us throughout the summer

Stay safe out there  -  Stay home if you can. If you're older or have underlying conditions, get someone else to get what you need from the store.  We haven't been in any building but our home now for 3 weeks.  We stocked up on everything in February and our son and his wife get us the few things we need when they make a trip to the store and they leave it on the porch for us.  We are truly luckier than most . . . . but we sure miss hugging our 5 grand children

Don

Yeah, well done and status well earned.

As we have an intellectual female president and virtually no religion (apart from Russian minority) none of this matter and people have been pretty smart about the lockdown.

Finally those who were led to believe that science and math are a matter of opinion will see that frequently there is only one truth. Nobody's opinion in this crisis matters. Biology and epidemiology will determine the outcome.

Be smart. Follow science. It has no ulterior motives.  We can revive an economy. Dead parents, grandparents or friends will remain dead... forever.

8 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I guess true believers know God will protect them and they won't get sick . . . . and spread it to everyone else

When they do get it and die  All their friends will say they are in a better place!!

We as a country have never been good at following timely  warnings.  We like Hurricane parties.  Remember Dan  Rather being strapped to a pole .  Some you may not be old enough for that to make sense .

Semi retired here  The work I do will either done later this year or postponed till next year.

I only have 45 years of projects on my list at the moment, so I guess it is a good time to start.