Ford Transit Connect Forum

Adding a second row OEM folding bucket seat to a Cargo van?

wrshultz

First post here. I have a couple of questions regarding the 2020 Cargo LWB Cargo van.

1. Do the new TC vans still arrive in the US as Passenger Wagons, and get stripped down to Cargo specs?

2. Is anyone aware of a reputable upfitter (east of the Mississippi) that would have the resources/expertise to remove the right (passenger side) 1/2 of the second row floor filler plates and supports, and install an OEM folding bucket seat behind the front passenger seat? This modification would require shortening the existing support bracket to use both sets of seat mounting holes in the left (driver side) second row footwell and trimming/shortening both cargo floor filler panels. The second row bucket would be mounted behind the right (passenger) front seat, using the existing mounting holes in the floor well (front) and existing mounting holes at the front of the flat floor (rear). This would require a seat/shoulder belt be attached to the existing mounting hole in the wall column behind the sliding door. It would also be necessary to use the Passenger Wagon side door lower sill and trim. Just bouncing around ideas to see if anyone has heard of adding a second row seat this way? A couple of other questions come to mind - 1. Is there wiring to the Passenger Wagon's second row buckets that would need to be located and connected (seat mounted air bag, etc.)? 2. How would the open area created in the footwell area (under the Cargo floor filler plates and to the left of the second row passenger's feet) be closed out and trimmed?

Note: This particular TC Cargo LWB van is a XLT trim level with the vinyl front floor option.

Sorry for the long post, but I've seen a lot of mods posted about using the area "under the front of the floor filler plates", but nothing about mounting a second row seat in the well. I know the first thought is "Why not buy a Passenger Wagon and remove the left second row bucket seat and rear row seats?" But, I need the extra floor to ceiling height and the extra wall to ceiling radius clearance of the untrimmed Cargo version.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by wrshultz
punctuation

• 3 weeks later...

I've done this but on a 2015.

Found a junkyard and pulled all the parts. 

Once you remove the vinyl floor, you will find a metal frame / plate to fill the foot cavity. This of course will be removed.

From the donor car, you will need the seats, the two seat belts, and the side step molding trims (and the lower wall trim panels covering the front passengers belts). All the screw holes already exists and it's just a matter of just bolting it in place. There is no wiring required. Remove the rearward cargo trim panels and install the seat belts. The required nuts were all present as well as the cut out for the seat belt slot in the rear trim panels.

I can snap you some pictures if you'd like.

Edited by kdkool

I found a third roll seat out of a older Chevy Suburban with the seat belts integrated into the seat. Angles were made to mount the front and back of the seat.  I used the cargo hooks mounting holes to attach the back of the seat to the floor. The feet at the front of the seat align with threaded holes in the cargo floor. The false floor was removed. A cover was fab with a couple of access doors. The front mounting angles are easy to fab. The back mounting a little more complicated.

IMG_20200318_103032918.jpg

Edited by collinjx
didn't transfer pic

@collinjx that's a pretty sweet setup - and with "limousine" amounts of legroom, holy cow. I've been looking at Suburban seats lately, too. I have one that I'm going to try to buy soon that's a 50/50 split with cupholders & small storage pockets in the middle. BTW, I'm including your pic below here so it displays correctly for other people (I'm in IT, so I noticed ".jpg" was missing, lol). Funny thing is that I found an ad for the same seat you used for like $45, but I'll spend a little extra on the black 50/50 seat (guy is asking $100 obo). I can't find anybody parting out a gen 2 TC wagon anywhere close to me, so OEM stuff isn't much of an option and I would rather have the built-in seatbelts, anyway. 

Here's the seat that I'm fixin' to buy for my "crew cab" conversion (it's an actual option package from Ford on the big Transits, 4-5 seater with cargo room in back), I think it should even match my TC seat color pretty closely. I know my mom & grandma will be happy when I can take both of them someplace at the same time during my vacation visits! Hahaha

Suburban_Seat.jpg.957b7931350504ffe636498b2751b649.jpg

And here is the pic of Collinjx setup/conversion, leg room for days: 

2138406029_tcsecseat.thumb.jpg.041af8f927e5cd7d4ef2259031d6c338.jpg

18 hours ago, DonShockley said:

Meanwhile, in a shed in Texas ...........:whistling:

Going into your van or removed from it? Lol. I am in Texas, too, Jack County. 

The Chevy 3rd-row seats are all right about 48" from what I have found. Which makes sense, since it needs to fit between the wheelwells of the SUV's. 

Been pulled from my 2015 LWB since about week 2 of buying new. Only put back in for about a month while family was visiting a couple years back. I was planning a van custom order for my next purchase but the whole "classified as commercial" means extra loan and insurance hassles I haven't felt like messing with. Plan was to put the seats back in once I had both and just switch vehicles as appropriate.

• 7 months later...