Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hatches or access panels in rear interior side panels?

Anyone do this?  Something similar to the existing hatches to the rear of the wheel wells, but forward of the rear wheels.  Seems like there is wasted space in there.   Maybe for something like a small tool bag, tiedowns, etc.  

maybe paint one one of these self-adhesive access panels:

E924D3E9-D5BB-4650-91DC-149ADD491FC9.jpeg

I've actually thought about building all new cubbies/covers in that area, on both sides & going floor-to-ceiling. I have the plastic panels completely removed in my van, everything is just steel behind the front seats - aside from my 48" aluminum tool chest by the back doors, lol. But for me, it's just one of those "it would be nice to have" type of project, so the 'custom cabinets' are very low on my priority list.

With the design of the OEM panels and the stuff that's under them, I think you'd really only get some tiedowns & small rope in there, nothing like a typical toolbag. One of those roll-up tool packs (screwdriver & wrenchs) might fit, if the access hatch is large enough and/or well placed during installation. 

I have a 750 watt inverter hanging in the drivers side rear most hatch  -  I ran a 4 gauge wire up to the battery to power it and I use if to recharge my Segways and also to run a 120 volt air compressor.  It's super handy to have and I've used it for all sorts of things

Don

I haul lots of crap so I removed the panels and built a plywood box for the back.It keeps the debris from wandering and20200114_152010.thumb.jpg.2d56b5fb62b7ed66ec948e91a59f655a.jpg provides some storage between the plywood and the outer body.As it is a cargo van,I had no fuse box to deal with but there was some thingamajig rear of the passenger sliding door that I had to box in.

The handiest spots are some cubbies just inside the sliding doors for binders,bungies and often used tools.

20200114_151951.jpg

22 minutes ago, JackGrimshaw said:

...I had no fuse box to deal with but there was some thingamajig rear of the passenger sliding door that I had to box in.

That should be the inertia switch that cuts off fuel in the event of an accident. That's a pretty good setup y'all made.