Ford Transit Connect Forum

2022 Transit Connect test mule sighting?

mrtn

My vote is something more like a Focus Active AWD, not a TC specifically. Ford had cancelled the Active for US in 2018 over Trump tariff's (currently made in China), but fast forward a couple years and maybe new plans have been created with the Mexico changes? Both are built on the same basic platform (Ford has reduced global core platforms from 27 down to 9 and now to just 5 modular platforms - I shared an article yesterday in another thread), so maybe this is just a cross-breed test-bed that we're seeing, rather than a specific model.

Certainly has the right overall shape for a Focus Active, 2019 model shown:

ford-focus-active-wagon.thumb.jpg.afd8703c3d8eb96b41eabfa2db99d1eb.jpg

Or, how about the Ford Stormtrak, speculated competitor to Subaru Outback? "Raised" AWD wagon is exactly what we're looking at in that article & pics... But, speculation also says it could be something like a Ford Ranger Stormtrak, competing against the Colorado ZR2 Bison and such. But, who knows, lol.

I'm still thinking it's more of a generic test-bed, though. 

How is that any type of a van / wagon? Just another hatchback car. I know our TCs are based on a car's power train, but the practicality is all in the body style and resulting roomy interior. That thing looks even smaller than my old RAV4 when it comes to usable space. If that's the direction Ford is going with the TC, I might have to start looking more seriously at the alternatives.

I read in another article that Ford has done it before,  bolted random Focus body panels on the actual body structure of the upcoming model. This here is much longer than a Focus and the front end is also high. It’s a proper test mule, not a ready made car with some confusing stickers.

I'd be tempted if they were to raise the roof on a Flex, went with side slider doors,  and got rid of the windows while they're at it ... kind of a retro delivery van look. Was actually looking at those before buying my TC, but couldn't find an aftermarket roof for it. It's a really flat stock roof, and most any universal van top would do the job, but I like how the TC turned out after the conversion, so no regrets.

2019-Ford-Flex-01.jpg

Problem there is the bean counters called it a car and killed it with the rest of the "cars" in the Ford lineup. I'm sure they haven't tossed the tooling though ... nudge nudge ...

Edited by sKiZo

Im in the not a TC camp.  Buuuuut maybe, the TC is low to the ground for a reason - easier to old and unload and gives more interior space without being too tall.

As for the VW hookup - nooooooooo, I'm done with VWs and if that;'s what the next TC is I won't be having one.  Maybe VW has learned how to build turbo motors but the 1.8T had reliability issues, my daughters New Beetle had a pie shaped piece break off of a valve head - motor gone - sold it for $300 and purchased a Volt.  My son had a nice Jetta wagon I bought hoping it would see him thru medical school and residency.  Nope - 2.0T timing chain tensioner, motor toast.  He drove my Volt for 9 months then bought a new Focus ST - Ford turbo motors are not perfect but better than what I've experienced.  Oh and the Jetta with the interior that smelled like crayons, rubberized interior surfaces that went bad, headliners that fell down .....

• 1 year later...

I'd be thrilled if they offered a slightly lifted, ruggedized version of the TC. I've owned a second gen since 2015, but I'll be looking to trade it out for a small truck in the next few years as I've moved to NV, where I have hundreds of miles of rough dirt roads to explore. A little ground clearance (and some skid plates), a bit more suspension travel, and room for larger tires that can then be deflated would go a long way. I love the form factor of a small van as an adventure vehicle, but need a bit more than the current TC offers in terms of rough road capability (even if I'm not expecting to take it on Jeep trails).

17 hours ago, i86hotdogs said:

the best selling compact van in America

Mostly commercial sales I think.  At least in my area, I typically see commercial vans.  Still not many privately owned wagons hauling families.  More and more people are catching on, but I think that passenger van sales probably still belong to Toyota & Honda.  

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Ford is discontinuing the U.S. version of the Transit Connect after the 2023 model year. The European version is on sale now. Check out the Ford UK website.

Ford Transit Connect Going Away Because America Won’t Buy Small Vans: Report
https://www.thedrive.com/news/ford-transit-connect-going-away-because-america-wont-buy-small-vans-report