Ford Transit Connect Forum

Pads and Rotors at 22k Miles

My dealer just agreed to refund me for pads and rotors installed at 22k miles. It took a few phone calls, but they gave in. I have bought 4 new vehicles from them in the last 5 years, so that may have helped.

Notes if you are fighting with them:

- there is a service bulletin that says they will replace your brakes up to 1 year or 18,000 miles, so they know it is a problem.

- there is an updated part number for the pads, so they have improved the pads.

- normal life of brake pads is 40 to 60k miles and normal life of rotors is 80 to 120k. less than 25k is unacceptable, period.

- this is not just your vehicle, this is happening to ALOT of them.

I am a happy camper for now, but they made me work for it. I am going to send my other van in, with the same miles and see if they will replace them as well.

I hope the updated brakes last longer.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

9,400 mi. on my '10 TC. Needed front pads and rotores. Dealer warrantied the rotors but not the pads. One year or 12,000 mi. on pads. Ridiculous!! Also had to replace the stabilizer bar. A friend the same line of work has had 3 front end brake jobs and 2 stabilizer bars on his '09 in 36,000 mi. I'm not done complaing to Ford. Should start a class action suit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Replaced my front pads/rear shoes the other day w/40k on the clock. I bought used about a year ago w/24k on the clock. I don't know if they were replaced prior to my buying it. From what I read here, most likely. Easy, quick driveway job. The problem was finding the rear shoes. Had to get them online. Not one set within 250 miles of Nashville.

My front pads lasted 49,800 miles, and still were not quite metal to metal, but you probably could not slide a sheet of paper in there as it would have been thicker than what was left. If you look back here, you'll find that I'm a long time member, just not much of a poster as of late.

These were the original pads and rotors, and I have now gone to ceramic pads and crossdrilled rotors. Very similar stopping power, but something else is missing. Of course, just because it's missing, doesn't mean I miss it. No more black brake dust all over everything.

I should have done this at the beginning instead of waiting - I would have saved MANY hours of cleaning the wheels, the door jambs along the lower portion and the rocker sills.

Washjobs last a lot longer, and it just looks better.

We're now at 50K miles and still motoring along just fine.

REC

Still Happily Transiting :shift:

Edited by REC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Transit and just put on the second set of pads and rotors at 42,000 miles. first set lasted 26,000 second only one year and 16,000 miles. Got $40 rebate from dealer on last brake job. whoopie! Mmostly city driving and useing for work vehicle(locksmith) not a lot of weight in vehicle. No more thatn if you had 4 passengers all the time. Like the vehicle for work but brakes every year is a little ridiculous. should have bought manual trans. so I could downshift and save brakes.

My dealer just agreed to refund me for pads and rotors installed at 22k miles. It took a few phone calls, but they gave in. I have bought 4 new vehicles from them in the last 5 years, so that may have helped.

Notes if you are fighting with them:

- there is a service bulletin that says they will replace your brakes up to 1 year or 18,000 miles, so they know it is a problem.

- there is an updated part number for the pads, so they have improved the pads.

- normal life of brake pads is 40 to 60k miles and normal life of rotors is 80 to 120k. less than 25k is unacceptable, period.

- this is not just your vehicle, this is happening to ALOT of them.

I am a happy camper for now, but they made me work for it. I am going to send my other van in, with the same miles and see if they will replace them as well.

I hope the updated brakes last longer.

Do you know where I can find out about this service bulletin?

• 2 months later...