Ford Transit Connect Forum

Disable auto door locking?

Here's a copy/paste from the manual for my 2015 XLT. Note: if I remember correctly I think I had to do something slightly different when I disabled it on mine. I think I had to use the lock and unlock buttons respectively instead of using lock button only for different lengths of time as the procedure says. It's been several years so I don't recall exactly other than it took several tries and a trying slightly different buttons once I was in the programming mode (after step 5) before I finally got it to work.

Auto lock and Auto unlock Feature (pages 56-57)

Auto lock
The Auto lock feature will lock the doors and liftgate when all of the following conditions have been met:
• All doors are closed.
• The ignition is on.
• Your vehicle is moving at a speed greater than 12 mph (20 km/h) for more than two seconds.

Auto unlock
The auto unlock feature will unlock all the doors when all of the following conditions have been met:
• The ignition is on, all doors are closed, and your vehicle is moving at a speed
greater than 12 mph (20 km/h) for more than two seconds.
• Your vehicle has come to a stop and you switch the ignition off or to the accessory position.
• The driver door is opened within 10 minutes of you switching the ignition off or to the accessory position.
Note: The doors will not auto unlock if your vehicle has been electronically locked after the ignition is turned off and before the driver door is opened.

Enabling or Disabling Auto lock and Auto unlock
Note: An authorized dealer or you can carry out this procedure.

To enable or disable these features, do the following:
1. Switch the ignition on.
2. Press the power door unlock button three times.
3. Switch the ignition off.
4. Press the power door unlock button three times.
5. Switch the ignition on. The horn will chirp indicating your vehicle is in programming mode.

Auto lock: Press the power door lock button for less than one second and release. The horn will chirp once if disabled or twice (one short and one long chirp) if enabled.

Auto unlock: Press the power door lock button for longer than two seconds and release. The horn will chirp once if disabled or twice (one short and one long chirp) if enabled.

After programming the feature, switch the ignition off. The horn will chirp once indicating programming is complete.

Note: You will have 30 seconds to complete the procedure.
Note: You can enable or disable the auto unlock feature independently of the auto lock feature.

Edited by DonShockley

Thanks for the replies.  So, here's what I've come to: It isn't the auto-lock-when-driving that I'm trying to turn off--though it would be nice to also have that off.  I did try what was recommended, and only ever get one horn chirp no matter what I press, which should mean it's disabled.  Only way to tell is test drive it and that's not possible at the moment as I'm parked in my uncle's airplane hangar with everything in disarray (I'm converting it into a camper.)

No, what I'm trying to turn off is the annoying feature that, when you are stationary, relocks all the doors 45 seconds after you close them all.  I hate having to grab my keys to unlock the doors everytime I want to get in--especially in the current situation where I'm working on camper modifications days or weeks at a time, coming and going, sort of half living out of it.  What's weird is that for a week it stopped doing this, but then returned to the usual relocking obnoxiousness.  If only I could figure out its secret!  Anyway, generally speaking, I don't need someone to babysit me with automation so that I don't forget to lock my doors and end up having my car stolen.  As with all things in life, I would rather run some reasonable risk (of forgetting something) than to have my autonomy usurped by eggheaded automation.  The Roger Rabbit dance is more useful than some of these poindexterish "innovations".  ?

Edited by DanDweller

My doors generally only auto-relock if I click the unlock button accidentally (such as a pocket click instead of pocket-dial on a phone), and then don't open the doors within 60 seconds or so. When I'm in & out, not touching any lock or unlock buttons, they'll stay unlocked until I either lock it or start driving. 

The procedure in this link is slightly different than what Don shared above, although it claims to be targeted for F150 & may apply equally to other Ford vehicles. Considering that I personally disabled the seatbelt chimes in my van using an F150 procedure (mostly just for ranch/offroad use), I'd give this method a try, if I were you. If nothing else, you'll only lose a minute or two of your day. At best, you disable the auto-relock, which seems to be linked to the auto-lock-when-driving - or at least the link makes it look that way.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:26 PM, jrm223 said:

My doors generally only auto-relock if I click the unlock button accidentally (such as a pocket click instead of pocket-dial on a phone), and then don't open the doors within 60 seconds or so. When I'm in & out, not touching any lock or unlock buttons, they'll stay unlocked until I either lock it or start driving. 

The procedure in this link is slightly different than what Don shared above, although it claims to be targeted for F150 & may apply equally to other Ford vehicles. Considering that I personally disabled the seatbelt chimes in my van using an F150 procedure (mostly just for ranch/offroad use), I'd give this method a try, if I were you. If nothing else, you'll only lose a minute or two of your day. At best, you disable the auto-relock, which seems to be linked to the auto-lock-when-driving - or at least the link makes it look that way.

@jrm223

Any chance you could post the sequence you used to disable the seatbelt chime?

Here's the same procedure that I used - note that each seat needs to be done individually, if you wish to have the passenger seat disabled, too. I did the full procedure start-to-finish separately for each seat - come to think of it, I did them several months apart after I had a buddy riding with me a few times in a short time span and the incessant dinging was getting annoying, lol. I've also used the procedure on my old 2011 Ranger back when I had it, so it seems to be pretty universal across models the past decade or so. 

On 1/25/2020 at 11:26 PM, jrm223 said:

Here's the same procedure that I used - note that each seat needs to be done individually, if you wish to have the passenger seat disabled, too. I did the full procedure start-to-finish separately for each seat - come to think of it, I did them several months apart after I had a buddy riding with me a few times in a short time span and the incessant dinging was getting annoying, lol. I've also used the procedure on my old 2011 Ranger back when I had it, so it seems to be pretty universal across models the past decade or so. 

Awesome, thanks!  That too has always bothered me, especially when it's a passenger who doesn't tend to put their seatbelt on--even isn't bothered enough by the chime to do so.