Ford Transit Connect Forum

driver seat air bag leaks

soundguy

2016 Transit Connect XLT passenger van. Every three days or so my drivers side seat leaks air and has to be pumped up. Does anyone know of a fix? I talked to a local Ford dealer and they want $150 to diagnose the problem plus hourly cost to repair the air bag. The bag lifts the seat up and has a pump handle on the left side. Gets to be a little frustrating. 

Mine has been like that since new.  I never thought of trying to fix it.  I didn't even know that there was an air bag.  I think that little pump handle is attached to some sort of piston driven device.  If there is a bag of air, it probably loses air like any other bladder.  

I read "driver's side airbag" and thought ... WTF ... I didn't think you had to blow those up ... just hit something? <G>

That said, I think I've heard everything now. Never imagined a factory inflatable seat that used an air pump. Sounds like something you'd find in a clown car - does the pump make farting noises too?

Edited by sKiZo

2 hours ago, sKiZo said:

I read "driver's side airbag" and thought ... WTF ... I didn't think you had to blow those up ... just hit something? <G>

That said, I think I've heard everything now. Never imagined a factory inflatable seat that used an air pump. Sounds like something you'd find in a clown car - does the pump make farting noises too?

Mercedes has seats full of air bags that air up to support you in fast turns and even have a massage feature, to put you to sleep while driving I guess!

James

3 hours ago, sKiZo said:

I had an '86 Bronco II with inflatable lumbar support and I have to say it was really nice, still miss it now! Think it made a sort of a whirring sound. Pretty sure the farting sounds were me.?

I used to drive an old International "Lo-Pro" and the drivers seat was adjustable just as you describe.There was no air bag,but a pneumatic cylinder and piston.

Could be something as simple as an O ring or piston cup.

I rebuilt my 30 yr old pump Crosman BB gun last winter so I can picture how the pump might work.

Old bicycle pumps used to have a small hole in top so you could put in a few drops of lightweight oil to keep the leather piston cup soft and pliable.

Any spot you can squirt some oil?

My series one Aurora has all sorts of adjustments for height, cush, wings, headrests, lumbar, etc, but fortunately all mechanical so I don't have to worry about them going flat ... just maybe exploding, catching on fire, or dragging me into the eternal abyss if I manage to p!ss them off ...  ;-}

Pink-Floyd-the-wall-3.jpg?width=640

If all else fails, maybe ditch the stock air assist and go with an Airhawk pad. Got one for the bike and love it. No problems with it ever going flat ... Not cheap, but hey, you're worth it, right?  ;-}

https://airhawk.net/product-category/airhawk-Everyday-cushions/

PS ... so here you are sitting at a light, and pumping away down south because your seat went flat. Ever get any of THOSE looks as people look on in disgust at what they think is happening? ;-}

Edited by sKiZo

15 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I had an '86 Bronco II with inflatable lumbar support and I have to say it was really nice, still miss it now!

Are you sure its the Inflatable Lumbar support and not How great you were in 1986 ?

The lift on mine operates normally both up and down, it does not feel like air but I never looked at it now I willl

Edited by G B L

Well, not much usable advice, but some good stories. I actually don't know if there is a bladder being pumped up or a piston/hydraulic system that is leaking. There is no fluid leak and I suppose I will take the seat out when the weather gets better to see. As to the Air Hawk suggestion, I don't think it would be thick enough to make up for the lift distance. I have a "Bunz Eze" for my motorcycle but it isn't nearly thick enough to work. I loose several inches of lift when the seat deflates. 

For now, I guess I will just keep pumping up the seat every three days and wait for the weather. 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:51 PM, G B L said:

Are you sure its the Inflatable Lumbar support and not How great you were in 1986 ?

The lift on mine operates normally both up and down, it does not feel like air but I never looked at it now I willl

I'm sure I wasn't worth crap in '86. The Bronco II was an Eddie Bauer edition and had very nice seats 

1 hour ago, G B L said:

I am sure no mater how crappy you were in 86 , when you were in the Bronco II you felt like a Million bucks!

You're right about that, I really liked that truck. It eventually developed an electrical gremlin involving the fuel pump relay that I could never fully resolve.

Well as the years pass the problems fade it the rest of the memory was great! Just like when you have a diner out that was too much money if it was really great the amount you are over charged fades and the great time does not!