Ford Transit Connect Forum

#vanlife

LizaJane

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2015 cargo transit connect, although I’m not really sure how else to identify my model. I bought it to be my travel home while I do traveling medical work. I have a travel cat. 

I did a temporary build to create a  bed platform using small cabinet and a coffee table and slats I found at Goodwill. I’m working full-time so I’m trying to do one small project at a time on the weekends. I have so many questions and will use the forum search feature to dig up as much as I can.

for instance:

What the heck is ceramic tent, and how is it rated? I read somewhere that it can fade? What’s that about

I want to place the shelf above the driver seat so it’s longer. How did the airbags work, will this get in the way? How do I attach things in the van?

What the heck is ceramic tent, and how is it rated? I read somewhere that it can fade? What’s that about

I wanna replace the shelf above the driver seat so it’s longer. How did the airbags work, will this get in the way? How do I attach things in the van?

if anybody replace the center consul with a custom job?

what is the moisture barrier? 

and many more. Here’s a few pictures of my ride, my cat and my temporary build. 

~liza5D097592-6C14-4860-B8C8-AF946112EAC7.thumb.jpeg.e17f14d9133fe6ab3f3b77aeeec5ea1d.jpeg

2E78D9DF-B516-4FDC-9962-0F3E3F95E22F.jpeg

Ceramic tint is a film you place on the windows to darken them.  It reflects more light (actually UV rays) than regular window tint.  The advantage of ceramic tint over regular tint is that you can get the same heat reduction without being so dark.  However, if you are looking for privacy as well as heat reduction, the regular window tint would be a better (and cheaper) option.

Attaching items in the cargo version is easier than the passenger version.  If you look around inside you will find "holes" in the metal ribs around the inside.  You can either tap those holes and insert a bolt or use a self-threading bolt to mount whatever you need to.  You will probably have to make some brackets to adapt the mounting point of the item you want to attach to the rib location in the van.  But thats easy enough to do with some thought a couple of trips to a hardware store.

The air bag question is too complicated for a quick answer, but basically, I would not mess with extending the shelf above the driver without knowing the answer.

Someone on this forum, changed their console for a euro version.  You can take a look at that.  The existing console mounts with 4 bolts so a custom one would not be too difficult to adapt.

A moisture barrier keeps water from condensation (changes in temperature) from going where you don't want it.

CUTE cat!

@LizaJane - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new van.

I too have a 2015 Cargo model. You're going to have lots of fun with it.

Love your travel cat. What's its name?  

Lots of great info already posted here to give you design ideas. Check the thread below for someone with similar requirements.

In case you miss this in your readings, there is a great storage area hidden below the front cargo deck. Many of us have captured this area to use for storage. See the thread linked below for ideas. There are a few other threads sharing similar ideas for storage. It's a great mod to do and highly recommend it.

Edited by windguy

18 hours ago, davidparker said:

However, if you are looking for privacy as well as heat reduction, the regular window tint would be a better (and cheaper) option.

Someone on this forum, changed their console for a euro version.  You can take a look at that.  The existing console mounts with 4 bolts so a custom one would not be too difficult to adapt.

Regular tint instead of ceramic - no, just no. That's like saying a Yugo is better than a Lambo; cheaper for sure, but not at all better. Video comparing the two types of film with real testing of UV rays

The euro console had actually fit right on top of the US console, after the guy (I can't think of his username offhand) cut-off his armrest from the seat. 

LizaJane, the side curtain airbags aren't something to mess with, so I'd recommend leaving the overhead shelf as-is. I mean, you can decorate or paint it (Krylon Fusion, BTW, since it sticks well to plastic) if you'd like, but extending it without leaving enough clearance for the air bags can cause issues in an accident when you need them the most. 

As windguy said, come up with a solution for accessing the hidden well behind the front seats for your additional small storage needs. I have mine completely open by removing the vinyl floor and all the metal that was used to cover the well, but those hatches like in the link he provided would be much nicer looking overall. I included a pic of what you'll see (except obviously yours is white, instead of black like mine) when you open that area up - note that this pic is with all the pieces removed, except the vinyl floor cover that you can see the foam bottom-side in the pic and I cut that off after the pic. 

My van is really a Swiss Army knife functionally, so I can't build a dedicated camper out of it. But if I was, I'd use the storage well for a couple batteries on one side (I'd put batteries on driver side, because you can pop out the rubber drain plugs in the floor for ventilation) and the electronics on the passenger side (fuse panels, inverter, solar charge controller, etc; this side doesn't have any OEM drain plugs that I can remember).

IMG_9590.thumb.JPG.a586e5c4165ded6c871e62d246963d7c.JPG

Edited by jrm223
Typo