Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transit Connect temp control and mode switch does not work

transitconnectdetroit

I have a 2016 Transit Connect XL Cargo.

The fan blows just towards the face. When you change the mode (bottom, windshield, etc) it does not change. Nor does the temperature gauge changes. Also the in air circulation and A/C button does not light up either. 

I checked the fuses, no blown fuses. Only thing i saw was Fuse 71 ( heating control head) had a 7.5 Amp inserted when the fuse diagram indicated 10 AMP. I changed to 10 amp, no luck.

Appreciate any insight. 

In some of last decade's Fords, there was a little module under the dash which controlled the little flap which directed the direction of the flow.  In some cases, the little door was stuck.  Today's cars are probably computer controlled.  And the little door can still be stuck.  Or just a faulty dial switch.  Maybe a bad connection at the wire harness.

• 5 months later...

I too just had this Issue...

2016 TC XLT 

My battery died (MOTOCRAFT OEM)  and leaked all over, then after I painstakingly put in a new battery into that stupid clip front box, the a/c and heat wouldn't work, the damper and vent select wouldn't work either.

The Blower fan and speed selector still works though.

Checked codes with my $70 scan tool, nothing, so I had a shop check codes with their $5000 scan tool... NADA

Continuity checked every fuse in the Van, all were good, no open circuits none shorted either. My TC also had a 7.5A fuse in 71 where a 10A is listed..

Stumped the shop, they think it *may be* the control module, the A/C heat & damper are likely not a strait through connection whereas the Blower probably is.

The only conclusion I can think of is the Battery was at 8-11v before I swapped it out. The temp selector had been left on MAX/AC so maybe the under-voltage shorted the controls out..!? 

I REFUSE to go to FORD dealership to diagnose it...

Those limey bast*rds would probably charge me more than a I'd spend on 4 trips to Colorado just to tell me to replace fuse block or add Blinker Fluid.

I will check the service manual for info on how the climate controls communicate to the body control module BCM. In the meantime, the basic way to reset all the modules is to disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes. This trick has solved a lot of weird problems.

Am I the only "old geezer" who longs for a LOT LESS computer controls in my vehicule ??  Yes there ARE places where computers do good in cars, but what happened that driving schools stopped to emphacise the computer we were all born with ??

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I got a new Dash Control Unit (DT1Z-19980-B). I went to install it and the new Battery was DEAD sitting at 8v... I had started it 2 days ago... Looks like the BCM is BAD!

I used a contact-less power meter and found there was a 6 amp constant draw, that peaked randomly at 11 amps. I traced it to the BCM. unplugged each cable bundle until I found the harness responsible. 

Looking for a diagram of what that pin-out is. Plug labeled "C6 Engine" . What ever it is eliminating the Dash module was cheaper than going to a FORD dealer to have them tell me the same thing.