Ford Transit Connect Forum

Locating a Race Red Titanium....

14 hours ago, i86hotdogs said:

The transmission has little to no affect on emissions. Also, auto transmissions are becoming faster to drive, and more efficient than the standard manual transmission. Gone are the days where the manual option is the "fastest" and "most fuel efficient" economical option. 

Yes, it absolutely does have an effect on emissions, because the computer chooses the gear that will cause the least amount of emissions from the engine NOT the gear that keeps RPM's the lowest for the given load, what an amazing concept. I see it constantly on some of the hills around me - if the cruise control is set, the van will go down two gears & raise RPM's to 4K+ on some of the hills just to maintain speed; but, if I'm using my foot instead of the cruise control, I can raise the RPM's by maybe 200-300 (we're talking under 3K RPM, often closer to 2500) with the accelerator pedal and it holds the same gear and speed or I can hold RPM and lose maybe 1-2MPH by the top... Now why in the hell would CC drop two gears and raise RPM's 1500+ revs when I myself can add perhaps a couple hundred RPM to hold speed in the same gear? Hmm, maybe "emissions"?? Low revs with higher load is "dirtier" than higher revs with the same load (like a hill). Same as being in a higher gear in a manual, like starting from 3rd instead of 1st - on a diesel especially, you'll see lots of black smoke emissions aka "rolling coal", low revs with high load! Can't visually see the emissions with gasoline engine, though. 

As for "most fuel efficient" - tell that to Hyundai & EPA. I had a 2007 Elantra, our own EPA rated both auto & manual at 28 city, 36 highway. I was averaging 35-36 combined about 60C/40H with a ... wait for it ... manual! Fuelly website shows a total user average of 28.25 MPG for 2007 Elantra across 112 owners and the largest single group of vehicles average 28, as well. My own MPG data from back in the day is not included below because I've never had the desire to track mileage via Fuelly. MPG charts:

794879135_Screenshotfrom2020-01-2808-08-41.png.4e8fe2c5c9506f9d6e88228563a2815c.png 

I'm not even going to waste more of my time on the other stuff. Other than asking you to find the differences in the trans tunnel & floor of FWD versus AWD Focus, because there isn't any difference in the tunnel. Link below has pics of each dash and shifter, although no pics of the back seat area. Notice the exact same size & shape, though. Of course, the same area in ours are buried under about 2ft depth of dash, so you need to look from underneath the dash. And I was also talking factory OEM builds, not swaps/conversions by Joe Mechanic under his shadetree, re: does not mean a manual swap is easy peasyBut speaking of Joe Mechanic manual swaps, here's one of our own who just recently finished on a G1 project.

Interior

The Focus RS and the Focus ST look a lot more similar on the inside than they do on the outside. Specifically, the two models share virtually all controls and switchgear, including their steering wheels, gauge cluster, center control stack and more. The only major differences are seats -- predictably, the RS has more bolstering for better grip around corners -- and a slightly revised shift lever. Otherwise, don't expect too many interior differences between the ST and the RS -- or between either model and a well-equipped version of the standard Focus. [Emp jrm223]

Autotrader Comparison 2016 Focus RS vs ST

On 1/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, jrm223 said:

if the cruise control is set, the van will go down two gears & raise RPM's to 4K+ on some of the hills just to maintain speed; but, if I'm using my foot instead of the cruise control, I can raise the RPM's by maybe 200-300 (we're talking under 3K RPM, often closer to 2500) with the accelerator pedal and it holds the same gear and speed or I can hold RPM and lose maybe 1-2MPH by the top

The bias of the automotive  cruise control it to keep the speed exact.  If you were in a large truck and had cruse control, the amount of speed  droop is adjustable.  The PCM is designed to keep the emissions within  the mandated range regardless of RPM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 6:01 AM, jrm223 said:

Enter the Gen 2, lose like 7-8" on the roof height, but gain around a foot or so on the bed length. That and the better appearance are why I went with a G2 over a G1, lol. I don't mind a utilitarian "ugly" ride, but the G1 just isn't my thing - although, that extra roof height would be awesome. But if I could have afforded it, I would have went with a Transit 350 extended-length high-roof for real stand-up room instead of a teeny Transit Connect cargo. 

All things being equal, a G2 is probably a far better vehicle, in spite of the roof height.  But, I'm cheap.  So there's that.  I had a full sized Chevy van, and it did everything I could ever want a van to do, except fit into parking garages, parking places, and get decent fuel mileage.  So, it went, and a TC is now my van.  Can't have everything.

My ideal van would be about an inch shorter than the G1, 8' clear behind the seats, and with an even lower deck.  And a hybrid power plant that would get 40 or 50 mpg.  The chances of that are zero, and even if it existed, I couldn't pay for one, let alone afford to buy one.  Hey, a man can dream, right?

I went with the Gen 2 mainly for the 4 wheel disc brakes, the six speed trans-axle which gets me right at 30 mpg . . . . and most of all, because of the lower roof height which I'm sure plays a big part in that 30 mpg.  I've never once wished I could stand up straight in my passenger van, but I'm sure if it only got 25 mpg, I'd be wishing every single day for 30

Don 

I bought the wagon because it seats 7.  And seats 7 with a little more legroom, headroom, and shoulder space when compared to some of the crossover SUV cars.  The 2nd row has 3 full size seats, as compared to a seat belt over a folded up armrest.  The big sliding doors are easier to get in and out, compared traditional 2nd row doors in little crossover SUV cars.  I could be wrong, but insurance may be a little less.

4 hours ago, Beta Don said:

because of the lower roof height which I'm sure plays a big part in that 30 mpg. 

I've gotta call BS on that 7" height reduction making much difference, at all. I've read about big Transit high-roofs getting low-to-mid-20's empty and they even have larger engines, to boot. Hell, my TC2 is only averaging about 24MPG whenever I actually check the numbers! Me + cargo is maybe 350-450lbs combined. My commute is only 11.5 miles and it's 70MPH speed limit for all but the first & last couple miles, so there's not a lot of warm-up distance before hitting 70. But, even on my 1K mile (each way) trips to IL, I only get about 24.5 MPG. I used to get 27-28 MPG when I lived up there and had a 40/60 highway/"city" (Chicago north suburbs) commute of 50 miles each way, but most speed limits are slower up there, too.

I have no idea what I get for MPG, and kinda prefer it that way. Good enough that the TC has a lot more pep and pickup than I would have expected, and seems to be capable of getting me down the road long enough for me to want to get out and stretch ... ;-}

• 6 months later...

Howdy...

"I am looking specifically for a RACE RED Titanium TC.  I will consider an XLT but want it pretty much loaded with options.  But... it has to be RACE RED. (NOT Kapoor Red)

I talked to a local dealer and he says there is only ONE  "Race Red Titanium" TC at a dealership in the USA.   And he said they may not let him get it for me.

How do I do a search to try to locate a RACE RED... Titanium or loaded XLT?"

I have had my new Transit wagon for about two weeks now...  LOVE it, but now I feel DOUBLY lucky with the purchase.

It's a 2020 XLT wagon in RACE RED !!! To make it better, it was a loaded demo / courtesy / loaner, sold with a new truck warranty. When I got it the clock showed 617 miles. I'm now thinking I got even MORE of a deal on it than I'd originally suspected !!!