Ford Transit Connect Forum

Power Liftgate kit available

Autoease has a liftgate kit for the Gen 2 TC for $499. But installation requires some tricky modifications to the mounting brackets for the actuator/struts. Autoease does not supply the brackets for these modifications.

I will order the kit and will make the necessary modifications. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edited by Don Ridley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are the details on installing the electric liftgate. The Autoease product is well made. Hopefully my documentation will help. The only problem with this product/project is the Autoease device that provides the final close/latch motion is not easy to install on a TC. I did not install this movable strike plate and motor. The liftgate closes but if all windows and other doors are closed, the increase in air pressure keeps the liftgate from fully latching. I need to lightly push the door closed at the end of the arc. This is not a deal breaker for me since the biggest problem with the stock liftgate was unlatching it, then having to step back so it didn't hit you. Then, closing required a big tug and you had to "ride it" all the way down to make sure it latched.

Now I can start the opening sequence as I walk up to the vehicle. Closing is not a big problem because you can start the sequence, then open the front door and wait for it to latch before you drive away. Art worst, you need to wait for the motor to close it and provide a light push just before it latches.

See the attached install and operating instructions. Contact me if you have any questions.

Don

electric liftgate Insructions.pdf

• 1 year later...

It takes some time to get all the parts and special tools you will need like nutsert tool, hole saw, specialty fasteners, panel removal tools,  posi-tap connectors etc.. Once you have the brackets fabricated it will take about 3 days to complete the job. One day will involve mounting the brackets and new struts and removing panels for wiring runs. Then another day for, mounting controller, modify harness, drilling holes, pulling wires and making all wiring connections. The third day will involve testing, debug and finish work. 

This project took me over a week but I was doing a lot of R&D and testing. I highly recommend using the OEM lower strut mounting points to see of they will work. If this works it saves you hours of drilling out the spot welds and fabricating a cover plate.  

This is a project for a person who wants a challenge and has mechanical and wiring skills and a good set of tools.

My liftgate is working flawlessly.

• 2 years later...
On 4/23/2021 at 9:46 AM, Don Ridley said:

It takes some time to get all the parts and special tools you will need like nutsert tool, hole saw, specialty fasteners, panel removal tools,  posi-tap connectors etc.. Once you have the brackets fabricated it will take about 3 days to complete the job. One day will involve mounting the brackets and new struts and removing panels for wiring runs. Then another day for, mounting controller, modify harness, drilling holes, pulling wires and making all wiring connections. The third day will involve testing, debug and finish work. 

This project took me over a week but I was doing a lot of R&D and testing. I highly recommend using the OEM lower strut mounting points to see of they will work. If this works it saves you hours of drilling out the spot welds and fabricating a cover plate.  

This is a project for a person who wants a challenge and has mechanical and wiring skills and a good set of tools.

My liftgate is working flawlessly.

Just now, Hayley Ogle said:

This mssg is for Don or anyone else who may have installed a hatch lift motor in the Transit Connect...

My mom has a 2016 XLT.  She uses a walker and has a scooter lift in the back for longer outings. She can no longer operate her manual hatch, so we are looking for retrofit power lift options. I saw the auto ease product and through some further internet sleuthing found this site.  No Ford dealer will take this project on, but I've found an RV Shop near her willing to try. I'm hoping this forum can offer us a nudge or 2 in the right direction and best results. 

I have downloaded the pdf Don posted and after writing this,  I'm going to call AutoEase.

Anything else I should do?

I would welcome any details or updates to add to your experience or the lasting results of your project.

Thanks!

PS. She can manage the manual side door, but if there were an option out there to power that, she'd be ecstatic!

IMG_20230516_123136.jpg

IMG_20230516_123150.jpg

IMG_20230516_123130.jpg

Hayley, 

My liftgate is working without any problems. The RV shop should be able to handle the installation with my instructions. The only downside to the product is the auto latch-draw tite mechanism won't easily work on the TC (this part would eliminate the problem of not fully latching when all windows are rolled up).

Feel free to post any questions your shop has.