Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello From NJ! New 2019 XLT wagon here!

Mountainsailor

Active enough ... I've managed to pick up a few good ideas here ...

That said, been working on mine forever. Then again, the longer it takes to do the actual build, the better it looks - on paper anyway ... Let's hear it for Photoshop! <G>

transit-mods-v13.jpg

Edited by sKiZo

1 hour ago, sKiZo said:

Active enough ... I've managed to pick up a few good ideas here ...

That said, been working on mine forever. Then again, the longer it takes to do the actual build, the better it looks - on paper anyway ... Let's hear it for Photoshop! <G>

transit-mods-v13.jpg

Wish I had Photoshop but I don't rent software. I've seen a couple things on yours I definitely intend to steal. Just letting you know. Ideas I mean, don't sit up at night looking out the window.

I've got an old copy of Photoshop 7 here that still works in Windows 10. What are the chances of that anyway? Even Windows 10 has problem working in Windows 10 sometimes. ;-}

Oh. And if you want to grab any ideas, feel free, but check with me first as some of them are still pretty much ideas. I've trashed quite a few of them along the way as well, like ... er ... pontoons and a propeller fer instance. <G>

Hey Oldschoolfool, good to hear!  Mine is at the shop right now getting a tent put on the roof.   And once I get it back I'll start designing a kitchen box for the back.  I was a cabinetmaker a while back so it shouldn't be too big of a project.  I'll do my best to take pics so I can post on here!

One suggestion for the kitchen unit (and any furniture really) is to make it strong. I recycled the original cargo shelves that were in mine and it should survive most anything ...

(and as mentioned earlier, mine's a work in progress)

19nov-kitchen.jpg

2 minutes ago, sKiZo said:

One suggestion for the kitchen unit (and any furniture really) is to make it strong. I recycled the original cargo shelves that were in mine and it should survive most anything ...

(and as mentioned earlier, mine's a work in progress)

19nov-kitchen.jpg

In this pic I was looking a the simplicity of your platform bed. I think I can expand on this and make it removable and storable and still keep it sturdy without being too heavy to move. Storage space at the Sunnyside Beach Cottage Retirement Home (my little beach house) is kind of scarce.

The plywood platform will be dressed up with actual drawers eventually ... yet another example of photoshop so far. There's actually four drawers in the base - two face forward with easy access from the side door. The base is optional, but the extra height is pretty much a requirement for my nasty old knees. Actually thinking of adding another layer below the drawers with an opening long enough to store a small outdoor table for the doors and raise the total height another six inches. 

2019NOV-test-fit-seat-base.jpg

The convertible chair was actually kind of a nice find courtesy of Amazon. Plan is to just strap it in place (as in the picture) when travelling, and use it as a kitchen seat/comfy chair. It folds out flat for a bed, just fitting between the closed rear doors and back of the seats. Takes about a minute to convert and quite roomy.

19nov-bed2.jpg

PS ... bed has plenty padding, but being an old softie, I'll probably use my AeroBed sleeping bag as well ... fit's the bed perfectly - just set my "sleep number" when inflating. <G>

Edited by sKiZo

2 hours ago, sKiZo said:

... bed has plenty padding, but being an old softie, I'll probably use my AeroBed sleeping bag as well ... fit's the bed perfectly - just set my "sleep number" when inflating.

My idea is to use a full size futon mattress with dimensions 53" x 75" should fit just about perfect. Put in the platform in in two pieces with the "rails" that collapse with piano hinges. No real furniture since all I really need is a bed with storage underneath, a little bit higher than what yours appears to be. I want to be able to take it in or out as I choose with a minimum of effort so I can continue to haul things when not road tripping. I suspect it will end up looking more like a 70s hippie van (no disco balls or all that silly crap) than it will a true camper. I'm a big fan of simplicity.

Disco balls! THAT'S what I was forgetting!  <G>

Truth be told, I was thinking of doing sound active lighting for when I want to crank some jams. I found some LED rope lights that pulse and change color with the music. You can also go any solid color for mood lighting, or even just lighting. 

Now lemme see ... what did I do with that cassette of stoner hits from the '70's ... ;-}

Plan is to set up storage in the front and rear sections of the "popped" top. Not much room in the sides above the original roof, so adding strip lights there would be a good use of the space. Build a nice trim box around the cut edges of the roof and that would hide the lights nicely.

camper-mods-04.jpg

Oh. And this pic also shows the side windows from the inside. Those were about the biggest I could go in stock sizes without having to get crazy with the panels ... simple hole, and bolt them in.

Edited by sKiZo