Ford Transit Connect Forum

What is this bag of... absorbent?

Dogbert62

All,

2017 Transit Connect XLT wagon with 2.5 gas engine

i had my oil changed by the local quick lube shop the other day.. in their “up sell” comments, they suggested replacing the air filter..  instead of paying 3x the price for them to do it, I went and did it myself...  when I opened the hood, I found this bag of... foam?.... Absorbent?... on top of the engine... my first thought was that it was absorbent for small spills when the top off the oil during a change..  however, the quick lube shop didn’t recognize it.. 

So, I assume it was inside the engine compartment somewhere... Any Ideas??

it is a black plastic bag with a silver adhesive strip down the middle.. it is filled with what feels almost like foam shipping peanuts...

any help would be appreciated....

Dogbert62

962ACA5C-1F71-4237-B997-79586023DE5D.jpeg

I hit a very little deer on the drivers side 5 months ago which required minimal body work.  Mostly plastic wheel well replacement stuff.  They replaced the white sound deadening wrap and likely didn’t replace this bag since it wasn’t damaged..

My guess is that the sticky tape on the bag wouldn’t hold it in place and it worked it’s way to a point where the oil guy removed it for some reason and put it on the valve cover for the other oil guy to mention...  when I went back a week later, I talked to a third guy that had no knowledge...  the guys that worked on the van were not there. I was fairly sure it was an oil absorbent bag and thought it unlikely that it belonged to the van... 

thanks again for the help... once Don identified the bag, I went to check an sure enough, I saw the bag in the wheel well on the passenger side but not the drivers side.

Dogbert62 

• 1 year later...

Nice - I was just logging in to post this very same question. I noticed these bags just kinda floating behind the fenders on either side of the engine bay. The previous owner of my TC lived in south Florida, so it got my imagination racing, haha. It's really strange though, it just feels like it's polyfill in a sealed plastic bag. The way they sit in there, I can't imagine it has any effect on sound transmission or insulation. It's too lightweight to reduce vibration, it doesn't fill the space up in an airtight way. The plastic's not going to let it absorb any oil. I wonder if it's just some kind of placeholder used during factory assembly, and leaving it in there is cheaper than taking it out.

• 2 years later...