Ford Transit Connect Forum

GEN 2 CARGO VAN RUST

windguy

I've noticed a little bit of rust just inside the rear opening of the barn doors on my 2015 Cargo TC. See pics posted below.

The rust is only in this one area as far as I can tell. Around the holes stamped in the rear panel at the top. No rust on the side holes.

The van is mostly garaged and doesn't see very much rain but I do frequent the beach but there is no direct ocean spray.

The gear I store right in this area does have salt water so moisture is close by or it is possible that it may brush it occasionally.

Was wondering if any other Gen 2 Cargo owners also have this rust issue?

Any remedies that I should consider or just let it go?

Looks like this issue would not fall under Ford's paint warranty. My five year warranty is set to expire on 01/15/20. Hard to believe I've had the van for five years!

https://firstquarterfinance.com/ford-paint-warranty/

Thanks!

2044918896_vanrust01lr.thumb.JPG.55dec91570805450733eafdd7de8a8c3.JPG

van rust 02 lr.JPG

van rust 03 lr.JPG

van rust 04 lr.JPG

Edited by windguy

This is exactly the type of rust that would fall well inside warranty terms. You could not have caused it even if you really wanted to. It's not penetrating rust but it may be a sign of catastrophic manufacturing error such as missing galvanics.

If you do go the warranty route,I would not mention your wet saltwater gear as I'm sure they would use that as an excuse to deny coverage.

Wet gear inside a warm closed up van probably creates a "salty" humidity.

My family owns a house less than 1/4 mi from the ocean and anything that can rust eventually does,even indoors.

Your rust spots are identical to the rust we get on the edges of appliances where paint is thinest.

1 hour ago, JackGrimshaw said:

If you do go the warranty route,I would not mention your wet saltwater gear as I'm sure they would use that as an excuse to deny coverage.

Wet gear inside a warm closed up van probably creates a "salty" humidity.

I agree  -  I'm 98% sure the damp, salty gear is the source of your problem . . . . and I doubt a 'paint warranty' would be honored for the inside of your van.  Even if it was, their repair might be worse looking than what you have now

Don

Thanks for the replies. You guys are spot on.

See pic below. The windsurfing sails that I store in this area are put away wet but removed when I get home to dry out. Sometimes they don't dry all the way before putting back in the rack.

Makes sense this is the source of the problem. Aesthetically I don't really care about the appearance of the rust but don't want it to 'grow' and turn in a problem. 

Any suggestions for remedies?

I was thinking to first lightly remove the rust using something like steel wool since it's pretty flexible and not harsh.

Then to apply some type of Rust-oleum paint that has rust inhibitors. Or I could get touch up paint from Ford parts to match the van color. Don't need very much paint to cover this area.

I think with a good coat of paint along the edges I'll be rust free in the spot going forward.

Thanks!

hanging rack.JPG

I think you'll need to somehow control the humidity better in that area after treating/removing the rust. They sell desiccant "dehumidifiers" on Amazon, you could hang a couple in back there to help absorb the moisture in the air. You also might put something a lot thicker along there, like bedliner or rubber undercoating?

On 1/5/2020 at 5:51 AM, JackGrimshaw said:

Windguy,

Extremely off topic but,

Seeing your gear reminds me of my 3 boards and armload of sails in one of my sheds.They haven't gotten wet since the mid 90's.

Is there any market for classic Bics?

On the east coast in CT

No problem. I sent you a PM with some suggestions.

3 hours ago, jrm223 said:

I think you'll need to somehow control the humidity better in that area after treating/removing the rust. They sell desiccant "dehumidifiers" on Amazon, you could hang a couple in back there to help absorb the moisture in the air. You also might put something a lot thicker along there, like bedliner or rubber undercoating?

Thanks for the reply. When I get back from the beach, I remove all wet gear and leave the driver's side slider open all the time in the garage. Still doesn't give me great air flow to the back area. Since the rust is just around those open holes in this one area, I agree with the post above that the paint is thin around the cutouts and leading to corrosion. The rest of the paint is just fine. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I will lightly buff back the rust with steel wheel and coat with some rust-oleum paint in a can. Buy some in gray to match the paint color. Doesn't have to be perfect. Brush it around the holes. Then I might consider covering the opening in this one area so they aren't directly exposed to the moisture. That barrier layer should do the trick. Hoping. I was gong to add some LED light on that ledge somehow so perhaps I'll do that as project. Thanks for the help!

Edited by windguy

• 8 months later...
13 hours ago, MLB said:

You guys are high if you think you're going to make a warranty claim for surface rust on a 5 y/o van!   ;0)

My penetrating rust warranty is still valid, 4 years in. Expires in 6 years. Sometimes you need to show up with surface rust to register it.

Uh huh.. 

I sold cars for 20 years and was sales manager at a Ziebart (rust proofing).

Calling BS on anyone from any factory paying a penetration warranty on surface rust of any kind. Including very heavy.   

It's their OUT.  ;)

Everyone in the world understands that bare metal rusts. (well most)

Edited by MLB