Ford Transit Connect Forum

How to remove security grill on side window?

Greetings!

I am the owner of a brand new shiny 2020 TC XLT cargo van.  I've got the fixed 2nd row glass on the passenger side, in the sliding door, and it has that security grill thing over the inside.  I'd like to remove it.  I've done a search here, and failed to find a topic on what's required to get it out of there.  Can anyone tell me what kind of bit or process is necessary to remove that ... or aim me at an existing topic if I've missed one? 

Thanks in advance. 

I haven't seen any up close in a TC, but the ones I've always seen in the past are usually just mounted with some self-tapping screws. Any pictures you could share of how it's mounted to the door? If it's somehow riveted instead of screwed down, you'd need to drill out the rivet heads. 

The round black bit is not part of the bracket.  It's the fastener.  The center is recessed, but not by much.  It does not take an allen wrench.  The sides of the hole are knurled, like the edge of a quarter.  It's not a hexagon.  Before I bought the van, I glanced at these, and thought, "Oh, it'll take an allen wrench and I'll have it off there in minutes."  Wrong! 

It's not a catastrophe if I can't get it out of there, and I can always stop by the Ford dealership and ask them what's required in order to remove it.  I figured I'd see if anyone here knew before I went that route. 

P1130078.JPG

Edited by Macgyver56

Yep, those are known as blind rivets. It used to have a shank sticking out before it was installed (see pic), then the shank snaps off when the rivet expands/mushrooms to the correct position during installation. Drill out the shank with a similar sized drill bit (or even just the top 1/4" of the shank, slightly deeper than the head is thick), then go up maybe 2-3 sizes to drill out the center of the rivet so the head will fall off - you don't need a bit as wide as the rivet head, only a few sizes larger than the shank. 

Rivet_Gun.png