Ford Transit Connect Forum

Please help! Transmission clunking hard when putting into gear

Kerry

Please help.  My 2015 Transit Connect is clunking really hard when I go from park to reverse or drive.  Then once it’s in gear, it stays in only one gear (feels like 3rd).  See video.  anyone else have this problem or does anyone know what’s wrong?  My warrantee is expired.  Vehicle has 80,000 miles.  

I have no idea what you're up against  -  Likely though it probably means installing a rebuilt transmission

We hear on this forum from time to time about transmission failures with less than 100k miles and that has prompted many of us to do a transmission drain and flush every 25,000 miles  -  I understand this 6F35 trans is very hard on it's fluid and regular changes are the key to a long transmission life

Please, when you find out what's wrong and what the fix is, come back here and update your thread  -  We can all learn from these early failures

Don

Unfortunately  these transmissions do not have the best of life, especially if you carry weight. My 2017 work TC carries a lot of weight, tools, spare parts etc on a daily basis. The trans started shuddering at 61,000 miles. The warranty expired at 60K. Ford billed the company I work for almost 7K to install a reman trans. We have 6 of these vans, mine was the third to need a new trans, all after 60K but below 70K. Granted, the work vans get worked hard, heavy weight and lots of full throttle on freeway on-ramps and such. One would think the cargo van trans should be up to the task of carrying cargo....  Shame on the fleet maintenance company for not including these vans on a severe service schedule and change the trans fluid every 30K.

I could tell you to check the motor mounts, datalog with a scan tool, flush the fluid, reset the learning tables........but it looks like an internal issue. Although I can't possibly know anything over the internet. Get it checked out.

Local transmission shops may want to rebuild, usually because it is more profitable for them to charge you work hours and parts.  A remanufactured transmission, no matter the cost, will be a better option.  

But it still wouldn't hurt to run FORScan diagnostics.  Check it out yourself, for free, before you take it to a shop.    Go to a dealership so that they can hook it up to a Ford computer for test drive.  At least 1 shop will halfway look and try to sell you a rebuild.   That shop does not know what the problem is, doesn't care what the problem is, and their profit is taking apart the transmission and installation of the rebuild kit.  Try to find a shop which will hook up a computer, go for a test drive, and explain the results.  There could be other issues not always mechanical.  I have seen transmission problems traced back to bad wiring harness connection points.  A rebuild will not fix a transmission control module fault.  You don't throw thousands into the transmission when it could be a bad computer or loose wire.

6 hours ago, zalienz said:

Shame on the fleet maintenance company for not including these vans on a severe service schedule and change the trans fluid every 30K.

That doesn't sound right at all.  Fleet Service companies usually follow severe duty schedule, perform all maintenance such as belts and hoses, spark plugs, fluid exchange, et cetera.  Fleet Service is suppose to prevent downtime and save on more expensive repairs.  Cheaper and easier to replace hoses every year; as opposed to a hose bursting, an engine overheating, a tow, and the van being down for weeks.

14 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

That doesn't sound right at all.  Fleet Service companies usually follow severe duty schedule, perform all maintenance such as belts and hoses, spark plugs, fluid exchange, et cetera.  Fleet Service is suppose to prevent downtime and save on more expensive repairs.  Cheaper and easier to replace hoses every year; as opposed to a hose bursting, an engine overheating, a tow, and the van being down for weeks.

I completely agree! Merry Christmas!

On 12/23/2019 at 5:42 PM, G B L said:

Do you have both forward and reverse?

Have you had the car scanned?

Can you still drive the car at all?

The video does show a real issue, did it happen instantly?

Please keep us informed on the issue

I have forward and reverse but when in forward it won’t switch gears.  

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bumped in to the same issue.   My engine blew up so I swapped an engine with and the transmission.   Engine is working amazing but the tranny is giving it a big kick when switching from park to reverse 

if someone had this issue and fixed it some how        response will be appreciated. 

thanks 

• 4 months later...