Ford Transit Connect Forum

TPMS question

manumit

• 1 year later...

On 12/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, Gideon said:

At the risk of being "a pain in the b****",  I will repeat: What is wrong with USING a $3 to $5 Tire Gauge and couple of minutes EASY work ???

Yes, ALL batteries eventually wear out.

OOps, you're talking about doing the deflation to reset.  My bad.

Edited by MLB

• 2 months later...

Got my relearn tool yesterday and tried for while without success using the key on, hazard lights on/off 3 times.  The dash would say it was in the mode but the horn would never work for more than 1 wheel and then stop.

Tried it again today using the key on/off 3 times and it went flawlessly after that.  2016

On 12/22/2019 at 5:46 PM, Fifty150 said:

Tire shop techs say that a magnet will work.  You don't even need the special tool.  

I wonder what kind of magnet those tire shop guys use.  I've never tried myself.  For fear of looking like an idiot, with a Mickey Mouse souvenir magnet from the refrigerator.  I bought the off-brand counterfeit version of the tool.  Mine looks like the little Ford tool, but cost less.  It works just the same.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:25 PM, Double Nickels said:

only wish that you can change the TPMS battery

I have to swap out some tires so when I brake them down I will look at the TPMS sensor and see if there is a way. It will be a couple of weeks.

TPMS sensors are not built to be serviceable.  There's no battery door.  You can take them apart.  They use those small batteries you find in watches and remote key fobs.  You change the battery.  Then you have to glue them back together, and hope it works.  

We'll start with the fact that most people do not have the machines to take a tire off a wheel, remount and balance the wheel.  So that's already impractical.  Assuming that you were able to take the TPMS sensor apart, change the battery because you just happen to have the correct battery handy, and reassemble the unit.......you still have to mount and balance the tire.  Now what?  It's back on your car, and you try to program it......what if it doesn't work?  What if you damaged the unit while trying to change the battery,?  

At the end of the day, you might as well pay to have new sensors installed when your sensors stop working.  It's just more practical.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 10:33 PM, G B L said:

when I brake them down I will look at the TPMS sensor

Well I changed out the tires and the OEM Ford TPMS sensors are potted in epoxy  so changing the battery is out. New sensors are 15-30 dollars so there you go.