Ford Transit Connect Forum

MK2 Horn Location?

Hey all, I looked around initially for this answer, but only yielded MK1 results. My horn in my 2016 LWB XL Cargo seems to be missing one of its dual tones. It sounds like its on the passenger side around the headlight. Just wanted to get some confirmation from you all on where it is, and how to get to it/remove it. Any tips or visuals would be great. Thanks!!

It looks to be under the driver side headlight for us Americans - passenger side for the Brits & some others, lol. The place I found this pic insinuates that dual-tone is an option, not standard. My '15 XL LWB cargo only seems to make one tone that I can recall - anemic, at that, as most car horns are, haha. Does your original dealer window sticker indicate that you have dual-tone horns? I might take a look at my dealer sticker this weekend if I can remember to; I still have it in the glove compartment with the purchase paperwork from 4.5 years ago. 

Horn_Location.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JRM, but after finally getting underneath it (and following the sound), I found it on the passenger side behind where the lower fog light would be (don't have any). It was a dual tone for sure, and one of the wires to one of the horns looked worn. I had a spare mini air horn kit laying around, wired that up and now the van has air horns!

Yeah, I rarely use the horn to alert others. I choose to avoid whatever is happening (of course this is not always possible).

What I really need is a "friendly" horn. Use it to say hi to other drivers, cyclists etc. More importantly, it can be used to alert pedestrians without scaring the crap out of them. I drive a Prius at work and often drive in alleys downtown. Pedestrians in the alley have no idea you are behind them and a horn blast in an alley is obnoxious.

Go with a hybrid system ... I have the stock horns on my Aurora as well as a kill at 100 paces air horns. The stock horns fire right up when you hit the button, but the air horns take a second for the compressor to charge up. A slight touch of the horn for that anemic factory sound, and just hold it longer for a 130db of sonic assault. Worth noting, that's a separate compressor system, and you might not get the same delay on smaller horns.

PS ... recently added air horns to my motorcycle. The Stebel #11690019 is a compact one piece unit that would probably mount right up to the stock bracket on the TCs and shouldn't stress the stock relay and wiring. 

stebel-airhorn.jpg

Edited by sKiZo

10 hours ago, JamesRich said:

Was it tight to add your air horn?

I should start a separate thread on the build. There was plenty of room underneath where the stock horn is mounted. It also depends on the size of the horn and compressor you use. My kit is a small compressor teh size of a regular 8.4 oz redbull, a horn about 4-5 inches long, and another about 3 inches longer than that. I actually found a snug spot in the engine bay. No interference or clearance issues. Plenty of zip ties. The sound is a little high pitched for my taste, but it's definitely louder.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:18 PM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

There is always the "low-tech" version....

Now that's the perfect alleyway tooter, haha. I was even thinking an OOGAH horn for laughs, but that'd still be pretty loud behind pedestrians ears. 

• 3 years later...
On 12/20/2019 at 3:29 PM, jrm223 said:

It looks to be under the driver side headlight for us Americans - passenger side for the Brits & some others, lol. The place I found this pic insinuates that dual-tone is an option, not standard. My '15 XL LWB cargo only seems to make one tone that I can recall - anemic, at that, as most car horns are, haha. Does your original dealer window sticker indicate that you have dual-tone horns? I might take a look at my dealer sticker this weekend if I can remember to; I still have it in the glove compartment with the purchase paperwork from 4.5 years ago. 

Horn_Location.png

would you happen to have a part number for the dual setup? even better if it's the same for a '22?