Ford Transit Connect Forum

ABS Disable: 2010 Connect

nickjtc

I would  be curious to know if any of you have disabled the ABS system in your van.  I'm assuming that this (if it is possible) would involve removing all of the sensors and the ABS computer. Or am I being too simplistic.

My reasoning is that in the few vehicles I have owned with ABS (including motorcycles) I have never been in a situation where the ABS has needed to kick in. And the 'ABS light on' scenario seems to be rampant with these vehicles.

Sure about that? The newer systems really don't give you all that much feedback unless you're really pushing traction like in snow and ice. Panic stops, you've got more important things to worry about and concentrate on. If the vehicle stops straight and true without pumping the brakes, you're using ABS. You may be comparing what you get with older vehicles that did all sorts of pops and clicks as the system engaged. My '99 Olds sounds like a whole room full of grannies with loose dentures clicking and clacking away. Besides, I think you'd find something like that buried deep with all sorts  of hooks into the operating system. Disconnect all the sensors and such, and you'll probably kill the TC.

Luck wit it, eh.

PS - you don't pump your brakes when stopping? That just confuses the brain and weird things can happen. Apply even pressure and let ABS do the work.

Edited by sKiZo

Um, I have used ABS in both my cars and motorcycles.  I have only had one instance of an ABS "light on".  In the last 18 months I have ridden 20,000 miles on my motorcycle.  Only time Ive had ABS kick in was slow speed.  However I still want it for that one panic stop.  Maybe I missed something want as quick to react whatever.  Don't plan to use it but want the safety net.  Same reason I wear all the gear when riding.  In case I go down.  Having spent months getting over a shattered kneecap and and a concussion from a 15MPH crash on a scooter.  I'll take the gear and the ABS every time.  My previous motorcycle and current one both would give a pulse feeling thru the bars and brake lever.  Today I got a bump out of it in a parking lot at low speed when I thought a minivan was pulling in from of me - they stopped.  A while back ABS totally saved me in my Volt, someone moved over in front of me going much slower - maybe 20 in a 55, I was doing the speed limit!  Had s situation on my motorcycle which was very quick and only had a few pulses from the ABS but made the difference between a lockup or not.   My experience with stability control is more like @sKiZo describe above.  Lints up like a Christmas tree but don't feel so much.  LOL I've done that in the Volt when I forgot that it doesn't corner like my sports bike did.  The traction control on my ZX6R 636 would give bars that counted up to where it would start intervening.  On that bike I did have one very hard stop from 70MPH on an exit ramp.  I got one bump out of the ABS which indicated to me that I was right at the limit.  I think on some vehicles it is possible to disable ABS by pulling a fuse but I would never disable as I can maybe match it on a good day but certainly not in the less optimal days.  The older I get the more I like the nannys looking after me as long as I'm in control and they are assisting.  

Once the ABS saves your front end, you will love it.  I used to drive a Honda in rush hour and had to light it up 3 times over several years.  In each instance, it allowed me to avoid an accident.  I won't have a car without it.  A motorcycle is a different story.  I have lit the ABS on my Honda bike a couple of times and was glad I had it.  But I also believe, there is more to avoiding an accident on a bike than just grabbing a handful of brakes.

And why bother disabling it.  If the light is on, it's not working anyhow.

• 1 year later...

When I started from a stop the ABS on my 2017 Connect with 65k miles began to apply, drag, and after several cool downs, locked the LF caliber totally. The RR brake pulses too when you drive. Since I can't drive it anymore, should I try taking out the ABS fuse?

• 2 weeks later...