Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear Transmission Mount

Project bike truck

Holy S&@t! 

I found out after a ton of research that the lower rear mount is the same as the Focus ST. 

lots of implications here. I used the Cobb mount and damn that thing made a world of difference. I’m blown away. I was going to go back to Ford and complain about how my trans was shifting. Nope just sloppy ass engine/trans mounts. 

This takes longer to jack the car up then it does to swap the mount. The original mount I can move with my thumbs. I don’t get why they would think that’s okay. 

now that being said it’s a vibration station for sure and they say they take a month to break in so I’ll see what happens. It vibrates at idle and and with the A/C on. But the changes it made are insane. This thing is fun to drive now. 

The Focus Electric Mount would most likely the best option if you don’t want to deal with NVH. Mountune makes one that has less NVH than COBB and there is some others and even inserts for your stock Mount. 

The scum “mechanic” stripped the frame to side mount bolts on my top passenger side mount and used a nut as a spacer. Hack! 

now get to swapping mounts. 

60AA17C2-1474-49F4-8389-77F03075339C.jpeg

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

That is nice, must be the same mechanic that filled my motorcycle with water instead of coolant!  Did you swap all the mounts or just the rear?

I was just going to do the bottom one but notice the fluid had leaked out of the passenger side one, FedEx screwed me as usual so I did the bottom and and the side days later. 

Huh ... didn't even know these things had a rear transmission ...

(ba dump dump)

Another potential addition to the Focus swap list though. Keep us posted as time goes on.

PS - for anyone else who had to gooOOoogle "NVH" ... it's "noise, vibration, and harshass".  Or something like that. ;-}

18 hours ago, sKiZo said:

PS - for anyone else who had to gooOOoogle "NVH" ... it's "noise, vibration, and harshass".  Or something like that. ;-}

Ha! Same. See reference below. Would be nice to know where the mount is exactly. Pics would help.

https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/faq#I have seen the term “NVH” used. What does this mean?

I have seen the term “NVH” used. What does this mean?

NVH is a term in widespread use in the automotive industry used to describe the quality of noise and vibration inside a car. “Noise” and “Vibration” are measurable values but “Harshness” is very subjective. The purpose of an engine mounting system is to reduce NVH to an acceptable level. The ultimate goal is to make the running engine imperceptible to the driver and passengers. In reality this requires significant compromises in controlling engine movement and durability. Vibra-Technics engine mountings are designed to give excellent NVH performance without compromising engine control.

Edited by windguy

5 hours ago, windguy said:

Vibra-Technics engine mountings are designed to give excellent NVH performance without compromising engine control.

Seems to me that the ultimate application of "NVH performance" would be to have the drive train drop out and roll off into the weeds. Zero vibration, and the only noise and harshness at that point would be the pounding and cursing coming from the driver's seat ...

Good to know though - but worth mentioning, we ARE talking trucks here. You want minimal NVH, get yourself a Caddie ...

Edited by sKiZo

*Usually* aftermarket engine mounts create *more* NVH because their primary aim is to hold the engine/trans so it can hardly move at all, which results in the engine vibrations more closely coupled to the chassis  -  Great for race cars where the driver appreciates the 'feel' of what's happening with the car, but not so great if you're driving 3 or 4 hundred miles per day

The smoothest, least NVH in a car is from an electric car . . . . and they don't need a 'transmission' because they don't shift.  My TC shares a garage with 3 EV's

Don