Ford Transit Connect Forum

What is this thing attached to my windshield?

ServicePlus

Maybe the TC did at one time and it was removed before you got it? In any case, just because it's a "fomoco" part doesn't mean it's OEM. I've got a "factory" back up camera on mine that Ford wouldn't cover when it crapped out because it wasn't listed on the original vehicle invoice.

Anyway, as mentioned, it's a GPS antenna, same as you'd find on any GPS locator - maybe just more prominent than most. They usually try to hide it a lot better though. If you don't have GPS, and don't plan to, just toss it. If you DO expect to install GPS at some future time, leave it - the connectors on those are pretty much generic and should work with most any GPS device.

PS - bad location anyway - half the satellites would be hidden by the body metal more times than not. My aftermarket radio has that mounted top of dash just behind the windshield so it gets the best possible view of the sky.

Edited by sKiZo

Probably not so much for driver navigation, but so that the company that owned the vehicle could track its location. So they could know where the vehicle was versus where it was supposed to be while out on service calls. Some company Big Brother action...Not 100% sure - just my two cents...

Edited by jdob

The GPS receiver on my 2016 is a black lump on the roof above the driver.  The satellite radio sensor and the sensor for the rain sensing windshield wipers are in a bulky rear view mirror mount.  That doesn't look like anything I have.  I have the Titanium with factory navigation and Ford MyTouch.  

On 12/7/2019 at 6:09 PM, G B L said:

Was the TC used any where there are toll roads it has the look of a toll transponder . That would account for the sloppy install.

A toll transponder wouldn't be labeled FoMoCo and have wiring coming out of it, though. I've had different styles and they're always self-contained, whether the plastic box like IL I-Pass uses or the sticker kind with a small RFID chip inside like OK PikePass, TX NTTA, etc.