Ford Transit Connect Forum

Power adders for 2.5L

s5pitfire

After some research on this forum, i've found that there is not much you can do to increase power output short of going forced induction. I realize this is a cargo/utility and passenger van where few would want more power, but coming from a supercharged mustang GT and track-ready mazda miata, I at least want to do some research. Even just a handheld tuner and tune on the miata would net you 10whp, but at a pricey $500. Additional gains were to be found in aftermarket header after a tune. If I do install any performance modifications, it will be after my powertrain warranty is up. Fortunately, this is a large 4 cylinder and thus has decent hp and torque already.

Link: Other vehicles that use the 2.5L DOHC Duratec motor

Looks like I'll be browsing the Ford Fusion forums for relevant information. If anyone is interested, I'll relay my findings here.

2.5L_duratec.jpg

Edited by s5pitfire
resize image

You should be looking at Focus forums. Our vans are built on a modified Focus uni-chassis & hardware. Fusion does have the same engine/trans (except V6 models, naturally), but the rest is different. I'd be kind of curious to find out if a Focus programmer will work on a TC, but I don't care enough to spend my own money on the experiment and any potential problems that might come up. One member used Focus aftermarket air suspension on the front of his van to drop it down since the parts are externally the same (internal is a different story because of intended load weights, damping, etc), but the rear axle suspension is completely different. 

If you want to go extreme, there was a build in the forum here awhile back and they were swapping a wrecked Focus ST or RS into a gen 2 TC, complete with the manual trans. I don't recall if the project ever got finished, but they were real deep into it. 

You can try to fabricate an intake.  Remove the OEM box, then add a cone filter.  OEM air box scoops air from front grille.  Intake air temperature is about 10 degrees above ambient at freeway speed.  An open cone filter will probably give more hot air, as opposed to a cold air intake.  

Find a shop to Dyno Tune, and you might get something.  

I don't think there's anything you can do exhaust wise to make the pipe bigger.  You can delete the resonator with a straight pipe.  You will gain noise.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 7:06 AM, s5pitfire said:

Fortunately, this is a large 4 cylinder and thus has decent hp and torque already.

If you're not careful, there's already more there than the front wheels can handle from a standing start  -  Much, much different from a RWD Mustang or Miata

With most modern fuel injected cars, there's very little extra power to be had without spending considerable money  -  If it was easy or cheap, Ford would have added it as standard equipment

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 9:33 AM, Beta Don said:

-  If it was easy or cheap, Ford would have added it as standard equipment

With Mustang and trucks, Ford does not give you all the power.  They detune the vehicle, retard the performance, so that they can sell it with a better MPG number.  Then you can buy all the goodies from Ford Racing, or an aftermarket company, and get a Dyno Tune.  

3 hours ago, s5pitfire said:

money I spend on the TC will be audio and appearance (wheels, tint)

Wheels are performance enhancers for some.  Lighter wheel allows for better transfer of torque and horsepower.  Maybe even gain mileage.  Some wheels allow for brakes and rotors to dissipate heat more efficiently.  

Tinted windows aid in cooling.  Less use of air conditioning.  More power to the wheels.  

All suggestive in theory.  In the real world, you aren't winning any races with rims and a tint.

TC is quite a change from a race prepped Miata.  As you say there is not an easy way to get more power.  Initial takeoff is as much or more than the front tires can take already but could certainly use another 75 to 100 HP on the interstate.  I think there has to be a way to put a Focus ST motor and transmission in it but would be a challenging job with so much of the vehicle run by its computer.  If it were a Mustang I'm sure someone would have figured it out by now.  Power aside I find it to be a capable little van that handles very nicely.  Next to my Volt with the OEM tires it is a sports car!  I have gone to just energy saver on the Volt and gave up some range but it will actually stop when I stomp on the brake pedal!  I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it corners but generally just poke around as most of the time I have grandkids,  mother-in-law, wife or am hauling something plus in my neighborhood with lots of hills and stop signs it doesn't get great gas mileage.  

However if I could figure out how to put that engine in my TC .....

IMG_1351.jpg

18 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Power aside I find it to be a capable little van that handles very nicely.  Next to my Volt with the OEM tires it is a sports car!

I agree.  The Transit Connect works fine as is.  If I want more power, I will look for it in another vehicle. If I want better mileage, I would look for it in another vehicle.  The car has a small engine, which is capable of doing the work.  It is able to move my wagon full of passengers. 

For me, it's transportation for seven, without a big engine burning more fuel.  And it may be the best mileage once you factor in how much fuel you consume per passenger.  Almost silly to consider buying 2 Prius sedans to drive 7 people.  Or taking half the group, then making a 2nd trip, to go back to get the other half of the group.