Ford Transit Connect Forum

Kumho's, WalMart and Goodyear Viva 3's

Osco

2015 XLT wagon with the third row of seats out, I'm running light loads, In the mountains, many many curves and some highways.

Lots of curves, oh I said that already, did I mention I don't drive like Grandma ?

My Kumho's, a 40,000 miles tire got down to 3/32 and 4/32 in 17,600 miles. They were a great feeling, handling tire on wet and dry roads.

$420 out the door at Walmart. 

I went back to walmart because they were not so good anymore in the wet and they prorated them and sold me Goodyear viva 3's.

These tires were $73 each plus all the other fee's and mounting cost. I added the $10 per tire road hazard thing.

Walked out the door on fresh rubbers for Just shy of $250, these viva 3's are 60,000 mile tires, the guy said I'd get about 30 to 35k and they would prorate them out

on the next set of what ever tire I choose..

They feel and handle great wet or dry just like the Kumho's did when new,

Thanks Walmart ?

I did the math, no more expensive tires for me. I'll stick to new fresh cheap rubber every other year I think....

Edited by Osco
Bad speelings

Goodyear makes the Viva3 only for sale at Walmart.  My concern is the load rating being 93H.  But let us know how they work out.  Inclement weather is right around the corner.  They should be fine if you do not carry the GVWR.  I would probably spend an extra $25 to have the correct load rating.  But that adds another $100 to the out the door cost.  I'm looking at those tires that cost around $50.  But who knows how reliable or safe those cheap tires are.  At 33,000 miles, my OEM tires still look great.  I keep them inflated, and rotate them.  At this rate, they could last 50,000 miles.  

image.thumb.png.8f1bf4be8d74294a1e22184b0f328c75.pngimage.thumb.png.4268394ef461a55af9bd34637730dd67.png

My OEM Conti's lasted over 70K miles and I still have them at home, tire shop gave them back instead of charging me disposal because they still have a little life left - my old tire thread here says one pair at the wear bars, the other pair still a bit above the bars. Funny thing is that Walmart tried to tell me the General Grabber AT2's don't have a high enough load-rating, so between that and the larger diameter, they're not allowed to mount them. The AT2's are 98 and the OEM are 97 load index, what a bunch of geniuses, lol. But, the max tire pressure on the AT2's is lower; I run them about 42-43 all around since I'm not carrying anywhere close to full capacity loads. I've got less than 300lbs in back, for sure, perhaps even closer to 200-225lbs (plus myself at 170-185). No warnings from TPMS, either, except when a tire happens to go below the warning threshold.

9 hours ago, jrm223 said:

My OEM Conti's lasted over 70K miles . . . . 

. . . . and when you 'do the math' that makes them the least expensive tires you can buy  -  Moral of the story  -  You don't have to buy cheap junk tires and change them every other year to save money

Don

I'm at 33,000 miles, and I really believe that I could get 50,000 miles.  At least another year of driving.  But didn't another forum member wear the OEM tires out by 30,000 miles?  Driving style and environment have a lot to do with it.  You can probably get more miles with good roads.  

• 1 month later...