Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help! I'm stuck in Park

2010 2.0L gas version with automatic stuck in park.  Any ideas? 

I saw something concerning the brake light fuse online, so I switched it and then made it to a convenience store to by more fuses, now I'm stuck in park again. (so, I'm guessing that wasn't the cause.)

Most newer cars,  including the TC use the brake light circuit to activate the shift interlock. The shift lock actuator at the shifter needs to be energized to move the shifter out of Park range. The manual override next to the shifter is there in case something fails. Usually it's a brake light circuit fault, as a blown fuse, faulty brake light switch, etc. It is also possible the actuator fails, but this is rare. Start by checking to see if the brake lights work. If not, you'll need to do some testing with a volt meter to find the cause. The fuse and the brake light switch are the most likely suspects.

Update: These brake switches are delicate little things. I took my van to the shop, and allegedly I broke the switch installing it. After it didn't work in one of the 3 spots, I tried a different one. Installing it twice is apparently bad.  They tried to install another switch, and it seems that they didn't do it right either. They're still figuring it out. Hopefully I get my van back tomorrow.

Edited by ArtCFartC

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm glad my Google search took me to this topic tonight.

Lately I've been having the same problem with my 2010 not coming out of park.  In my case, it's intermittent, so I guess the brake light switch is getting flaky, and not (yet) completely shot.  

It certainly does seem like the switch that's the culprit, as when the issue arrises, the brake lights don't come on.  

I was also glad to find out about the bypass button on the shifter console.  That will be a huge help in the meantime. 

Edited by Timbo