Ford Transit Connect Forum

From Mazda Miata to Transit

s5pitfire

Hi, I'm a 30 year old guy who just sold his 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata (2 seater roadster convertible) that had lots of mods like coilover suspension, engine header, wheels, etc. You can barely fit a passenger in it.. It was a fun daily driver that I tracked a few times.

Yesterday I bought a 2016 Transit Connect XLT and I absolutely love the van. 32k miles for $16k.

It's nimble, light (for a van), but could use another 20-30 horsepower especially if it's full of passengers. I managed 32 mpg highway on the way home! I can now actually move stuff, like if I move [homes], buy a bigger tv, etc. Also I can now travel and use it as my camper in the future. I plan to remove at least the farthest two rear seats for more space. My fiance has 2 small children and wants to have another. Oh, and I'm job searching and if I cannot find a job in my field in the next few weeks, I'll become an Uber and Lyft driver to make some side money thanks to the Transit.

Thanks!

(Me on the left)

FB_IMG_1573358668979.jpg

21343199440.jpg

21343200394.jpg

Edited by s5pitfire
Add photo

I sold my Miata a couple years after I bought our TC  -  I owned a 1994 R package for 20 years . . . . it just got too difficult to get into and out of for an old man!  ?

The 'other reason' for the sale was . . . . I was just out of garage space and no way was my Miata going to sit out in the weather  -  It never did in the 20 years I owned it.  We have 4 cars and a motor home, so garage space is at a real premium around here!

Don

Thanks guys.

@davidparker Thanks. I love the flashy red. Only other ones around here was one black and a bunch of white.

Ideally I keep it bone stock.. I had a supercharged 07 mustang GT (with fat tires and a host of other mods) before I had my Miata. The mod bug gets me easily. But... Once I start making money again I dont doubt I'll at least want wheels and maybe a subwoofer for my Transit. To me it carries a Japanese or European style (shape and size) and would look really good a bit lower with some wheels. If I plan to drive it for 10+ years I'll be modding.

@Beta Don Nice to see another Miata person here. R package was rare. I even wanted an 04 Mazdaspeed as a second Miata at one point. Maybe in 10 years I'll have the itch for a sports car, but sure is nice to get something usable.

Edited by s5pitfire
Added info

Nice!  Love the red color, would have been my preference but got what I could - my youngest daughter calls it creeper white!  But WOW what a change from a Miata to a TC.  Mine feels like a sports car compared to my Volt.  Ive nearly run it off the road forgetting that I was in the car not on my bike or the van and went into a curve a bit too hot - fun to watch the stability control light up like.  For a van the TC actually handles pretty well, have not checked the limits but it corners nice and flat.  Miata is a very nice car to track particularly with the coil overs.  My best Miata story is:  Taking photos at the exit of a corner, heard a bang, first thought was a car had hit the ARMCO in the braking zone (that's unusual).  At that point a Miata comes slowly around the corner being trailed by the right front tire - yes the tire.  Most of the rim is still on the car.  A brake caliper is tumbling beside the Miata on the drivers side.  I have a photo of the caliper on end next to the car as it is tumbling.  Cause of the carnage was driver brakes hard (its a track) right front rotor breaks and then rips the caliper off which in turn breaks the rim, not enough rim so tire says see ya later.  Car was back out a couple of sessions later.  It was a race peeped Miata.  I have my fun on two wheels, currently ride a BMW F800GT primarily on long trips.  Prior to the BMW had a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 ABS and a CBR600RR.  Last summer made two trips to Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, South Dakota, North Dakota and Iowa.  Went out thru Arkansas and Missouri.  

Think you will like the TC, mine is a Titanium in the 6 passenger configuration - being able to walk thru to the 3rd row is nice.  My 3rd row seats are out about half the time, I haul my scooter to the race track for transportation there.  Front wheel fits nicely between the middle seats.  Scooter in the pic is my Honda Metropolitan, usually take the Kymco Compagnia 110i which is about the same size but with a bigger fuel injected motor - 60MPH on 10" wheels!  The TC is so incredible versatile, take it on trips with lots of stuff inside, haul people inside.  It is great for older folks as the seats are easy to get in and out of.  Has my 91yo mother-in-law around in it.  She has very bad arthritis and it is very easy for her to get in and out of.  Have twin grandchildren almost 6 YO and they ride in it a lot.  Doesn't have the drop down video screen like their mothers Odyssey but it handles much better.  Have hauled dishwashers, ovens, stoves, kids stuff for the consignment sale, furniture and other stuff.  I have a small trailer which I use for lumber and really big stuff.  The TC handles it all without a problem.  I see you are in the southern plains, can't say about snow because here in the south when it snows it is best to keep the car in the garage due to the abundance of folks who don't know that you need to go slower in the snow.  Seriously it is downright laughable what a little bit of snow does here.  I bought mine with the intention of camping but haven't done that yet - all of my camping has been tent camping with my motorcycle.  

I have the WeatherTech mats in the front and center and the big mat that goes over all of the seats when they are folded flat.  The big one has been fantastic.  I use it with or without the rear seats in.  For scooter hauling process is take seats out, put mat down, put a 3x3 piece of MDF on top of it (for the center stand of the scooter).  Roll scooter in and let the front wheel go between middle seats - it mends the mat down but that protects the seats.  When I'm done I can take the mat out and the carpet is clean and nice.  

Read some of the threads about the transmission, it's not bad but there are some questions about changing the fluid.  A lot of folks think it is a good idea to change the fluid between 30,000 and 50,000 miles.  My plan is to do a complete flush at 30,000 miles, Im currently at 18,000 miles.  For short trips and around town I take the Volt and save the van for longer trips and when hauling mother-in-law or something big.  

IMG_5902.JPG

@PhotoAl thanks for the details. I was lowered about 1.75" on the coilovers and ended up having to "roll" the inside edge of my fenders so that the tires wouldn't rub the 235 wide tires I had on (some folks fit up to 255 wide on the 2016+ Miata!). Required a heat gun, laser thermometer, and Eastwood fender roller. I heard of horror stories from Miata race shops like Flyin Miata or Goodwin Racing with fenders ripping off or tires shredding right on the track due to rubbing. One salesman joked that I could fit the Mazda in the TC ?

I have a road bicycle that I can finally ride again now thanks to the TC! I may even take all seats out besides just 1 behind the driver's row for more room, depending on Uber's policies. The TC definitely handles great for a van, only ~3500 lb curb weight, I pushed it hard yesterday on a circular curve on the highway exit that my Miata would eat for lunch. I'm sure some wider summer tires/wheels wouldn't hurt! Maybe 255 all around... The 215 stock tires are a bit skinny.

Really like this 2016 color and wheel combo: 

Screenshot_2019-11-11-02-19-39~2.png

Edited by s5pitfire
Added info

19 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

- my youngest daughter calls it creeper white!

Does she work at Costco?

I was just there.  Costco worker at the gas pump called the van "creeper white".  She said that the Transit Connect looked like I would pull her into the back and nobody would ever see her again.