Ford Transit Connect Forum

Sylvania LED bulbs for brake lights.

I had to change a burned out Brake light bulb so i thought i would try LEDs.  Sylvanias  were a direct fit, and the package said (in small print) for off road use only.... they don't seem any brighter (its a sunny afternoon) so i guess i will try them out for a while then get back.  Oh, while checking out the tail lights I discovered that the bottom set of lights come on when the FOG setting is on....nice to know....I still haven't bled the brakes... seems all i have read and seen on Youtube,  indicates vacuum method at  the wheels is fine,,, as long as you DO NOT  get air in the ABS pump....

What year is your TC? Curious about the fog lights function.

I found the Sylvania bulbs were not as bright as the incandescent. I eventually went back to the stock bulbs since I want the brake lights to be very visible. Cheap Amazon bulbs will fail. 

2012 transit... 1st gen.  the fog lights are turned by pulling out the headlight switch while in the 'headlight on'  position.  you will get a nice orange 'fog' indicator light on the dash board display..  I actually dont have fog lights, (on the list) . but pulling out the switch energizes the lights in the back,, making the truck more visible to following vehicles...i think i am going to use this feature routinely at night...

I have Philips back-up lights, but "Alla Lighting" tail/brake & turn signals in back, from Amazon. The lights have been in since second half of September 2016 and the only real problem is hyper-flash because I haven't gotten around to installing resistors on the turn signals, lol. Based on that timeframe, these bulbs have been in-use for something like 50-60K miles now, so I'd say they're actually doing pretty great for cheap Chinese lights. 

I found rear signal flashers that worked fine with the OEM halogen in front.  Then I installed front signal LED.  Hyperflash when I signal a turn.  Regular below flash pattern when I activate hazard light switch.  

I'm leaving it alone for now.  The front signal lamp size was not easy to find in LED.  LED is much brighter and more visible.  

I have LED up front & sides, also, except for the "city lights" (in the headlights, I believe 194 bulbs). There weren't many choices when I did it, so I ended up going with yellow instead of amber, which is just fine. Hazard switch does not monitor bulb amperage, so that's why it doesn't hyper-flash like the turn signals do. The inline resistors I have, somewhere, are 50W each and they should be enough to eliminate hyper-flash with front & rear LED signals, based on the combined rating of factory bulbs (45W together, 50W including the side marker that I also switched to LED). 

Bulb_Specs.jpg.d847f354084fffe93964d2438b7188ba.jpg