Ford Transit Connect Forum

How many miles?

RAM

I am curious how many miles people get on their Connect before it needs engine, transmission or other major work?

The reason I'm asking is I have a 2018 with 66,xxx miles and the transmission has died. I drive a lot, 22 months and 66,000 + miles. The tranny started real minor acting up about 55,000 but started getting worse at just over 62,4xx miles. I didn't realize the powertrain warranty was 60,000 mi. I thought it was out of warranty at 36,000 so I never thought I should take it to a dealer for something extremely minor before the 60K mark. So I'm screwed warranty wise. 
My options are:

• AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out) Re-man trans. $3,500 to $4,500 - 18,000 mile warranty (six month warranty with my annual mileage).

• Ford New Transmission $7,000 - 3 year, unlimited mile warranty.

I really like this car , it fits my usage perfectly, and I'm thinking about adding another to the company fleet, replacing a Honda Element. But I don't know if I should cheap out on the tranny then sell the car in the next year or so if these cars don't last very long. But if people typically get 150K mi or more out of these without major repairs then it would probably be worth it to me to go with a new ford tranny and drive it for 3 or so more years.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Edited by RAM
clerification

Go to a dealer first.  Maybe go to more than 1 dealer.  See if they could fix your transmission or replace it with an "after warranty adjustment".   

With your amount of driving, I would choose the Ford transmission with unlimited mileage warranty for 3 years.  I'm not sure if Aamco transmissions are that good.  You may also want to shop around with independent transmission shops.  

Did you ever service the transmission?  Was the fluid changed at all?  Do you know if your transmission fluid temperatures were high?

It sounds like, from your description of 66,000 miles in 22 months, that your drive conditions are what Ford describes as "severe duty".  Transmission fluid should have been flushed every 30,000 miles, and you may need an auxiliary cooler.  You may even need an extra cooler for the engine oil.  We've discussed transmission fluid changes on this forum and there is quite a bit to read.  When the topic of auxiliary cooling was discussed, none of the forum members had unusually high temperatures.  But nobody is operating the van like you.

How long anything automotive last for you vs anyone else would not be a valid comparison  -  There are TC's out there with 200,000 miles on them still running fine.  Much depends on HOW you drive it and how it's maintained.  If you drive it 'briskly' (or worse) then it needs more maintenance than if your normal zero to sixty time is 15 or 20 seconds.  A gently driven TC gets 26 to 30 mpg  -  One driven briskly (or in lots of city traffic) gets much worse . . . . and needs more frequent maintenance.  I'm pretty darned gentle with mine and am averaging right at 29 mpg . . . . and I drained and flushed my transmission at 25,000 miles

Don

The # 1 question is if you followed through with scheduled maintenance , with 66,000 miles i would have changed the trans fluid twice already and made sure i followed the "Severe duty" maintenance guidelines for engine oil changes .  If maintenance was ignored than bad things should be expected .

Nearly at 111K miles now on my 2015 bought in June that year, but if I hadn't moved to Texas, the van would probably be close to 200K+ already. I moved in November 2016 with around 55-60K already on the van and it had 3 miles when I bought it. Apparently I'm the only one that waited until 102K miles before getting the trans flushed, lol. I don't know what color came out since Ford did it, but I'm also easy on the van - except the suspension, I tend to go through curves like I'm on a race track and have already done the front struts once because RF blew.

What I see is that the cooling system is acceptable and efficient.  Engine and transmission fluid temps can rise to 225, and drop back to below 185.  A lot of factors.  Ambient temperature.  Drive style.  Condition of coolant and ATF.  Biggest overlooked factor is if car is working correctly.  Mechanical thermostat can get stuck.  Electric fan can lose power from bad fuses and relays.  Temperature sensors can fail.  

As an owner, the easiest thing to do is the fluid change.  Once the car is raised and the lower cover removed - you can easily drain and fill the ATF.  Since you are already doing an oil change, a drain and fill will only cost you the price of the fluid.  WalMart sells Valvoline for about $20 per gallon.

I have followed the standard maint. schedule, not the severe. My cars typically last quite well using standard maintenance schedules. My last Toyota Matrix went 190,xxx miles and I sold it to a friend who is still driving it with 240,+++ miles last I heard. My Honda element currently is over 160,xxx mi and if I replace it soon it will be because the Connect fits my usage better. I can't say that my employee that drives the Element is as nice to it as I am with the Connect but it is still in great shape and the engine runs very clean also. My MPG on this van varies from 24 - 31ish MPG depending on city vs freeway(usually it's a mix) and whether I'm on the gas pedal or the cruise control is. I always get better MPG's than the cruise control which seems to max out at 27-28 or so at 65mph freeway cruising. Based on these MPG's I think you can assume I do not drive it HARD! My cars, this one included, typically start in the morning and will not cool down until parked for the night so they don't have a chance for moisture to stay in the engine building sludge. The oil is checked often and is always still honey colored when it gets changed, only a little darker than it was when new so the engine is running very clean.

As for the transmission, the code it's putting out is a solenoid failure, who knows what else is wrong inside. I assume this failure was an anomaly and that a reasonably well-treated Connect should last a fairly long time. So I've decided to have ford put in a new trans. I may add an aux trans cooler also!

Thanks for the replies, It's helpful to hear differing opinions and ideas.

Think its a good decision to put a new transmission in.  Years ago our Ford Taurus SW ate a transmission while on vacation.  Local AAMCO charges us a huge amount for what turned out to be a very poor rebuild.  Local AAMC made a comment like wish I could get that much.  He found a motor mount issue which I think had been there a very long time.  Trans rebuilt by Ford at 11,000 miles (under warranty), again at 49,000 by AAMCO and when we traded it on a GMC Safari van at 98,000 miles it was not right.  My last Ford until the TC.  Was hoping they had learned something about transmissions in the meantime.  The Safari van made 200,000 miles of school kid transportation before being retired.  I had the transmission flushed about every 60,000 miles and had no trouble.  I plan on doing that with the TC every 40,000 to 50,000 miles.  Most of it's miles are interstate.  As for the lifetime fluid I have a VW Rabbit (2008) bought new and have had the fluid changed one and will get it changed again soon - it has an Asain transmission which I think is similar to the TC transmission.  Amazingly similar powertrains - bothe 2.5 liter 150HP except the VW has a 5 cylinder and the TC a 4 cylinder.  

I do hear of TCs that have lots of miles and have had no problems so not a guaranteed failure.  Nowdays better to get something fixed at first sign of trouble.  

15 hours ago, G B L said:

3500-4000 vs 7 with twice the warranty makes the choice easy.  did you ever check the oil level before the trans failed?

When the trans failed would it still drive?

Ford's warranty is 3 years vs 1. And unlimited miles vs 18,000. 

Fluid level was full, never had a leak or even seepage. The fluid was a little dark.

I drove it into Ford after it popped a trans failure/service now code. the code was for a solenoid failure.

22 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Think its a good decision to put a new transmission in.  Years ago our Ford Taurus SW ate a transmission while on vacation.  Local AAMCO charges us a huge amount for what turned out to be a very poor rebuild.  Local AAMC made a comment like wish I could get that much.  He found a motor mount issue which I think had been there a very long time.  Trans rebuilt by Ford at 11,000 miles (under warranty), again at 49,000 by AAMCO and when we traded it on a GMC Safari van at 98,000 miles it was not right.  My last Ford until the TC.  Was hoping they had learned something about transmissions in the meantime.  The Safari van made 200,000 miles of school kid transportation before being retired.  I had the transmission flushed about every 60,000 miles and had no trouble.  I plan on doing that with the TC every 40,000 to 50,000 miles.  Most of it's miles are interstate.  As for the lifetime fluid I have a VW Rabbit (2008) bought new and have had the fluid changed one and will get it changed again soon - it has an Asain transmission which I think is similar to the TC transmission.  Amazingly similar powertrains - both 2.5 liter 150HP except the VW has a 5 cylinder and the TC a 4 cylinder.  

I do hear of TCs that have lots of miles and have had no problems so not a guaranteed failure.  Nowdays better to get something fixed at first sign of trouble.  

I think the TC 2.5 is around 170 HP .

On 11/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, Fifty150 said:

Does that mean that the lifetime fluid in the transmission was never exchanged?

Lifetime fluid , why does it say flush the trans in the owners manual at a certain number of miles ,  maybe that why RAM didn't change the trans fluid until over 100K .

1 hour ago, RAM said:

What are you guys paying for a trans flush?
Or are you just dumping the fluid in the pan and not doing a thorough flush?

At some dealerships, they use a machine.  The machine attaches to the cooling and return lines.  As the contaminated fluid is pumped out of the transmission, fresh fluid is filled to replace it.  

The service manual procedure for the 6F35 is a triple drain & fill.  A process which can be performed at home by the car owner.  A lot of forum members are doing this at home.  

6f35drain.jpg

6f35.pdf

Right under the air intake tube, there is a radiator hose.  The vent cap is right under the radiator hose.  A traditional transmission funnel won't really work because of the radiator hose.  Use a transmission funnel with a flexible tube or an offset funnel.  

1370110-001_4__47195.1531945224.jpg?c=2

lumax-auto-diagnostic-testing-tools-lx-1

image.png.271a1be145808ba92b415805dea86a11.pngimage.thumb.png.fad9e9a7fd39b75d61e7051d018efdca.png

9 hours ago, RAM said:

I drove it into Ford after it popped a trans failure/service now code. the code was for a solenoid failure.

Did any one check which  solenoid failed?  All the solenoids are serviceable behind the plastic cover on the driver’s side?  A good scan tool should say which one.

Thank you for all of the info. I don't have time or desire to change the fluid at home. That's why I was wondering about the cost, but I guess you guys all  do your own!  Around here they seem to get around $250 - $300 for a flush (not just a dump and refill).
Yes the ford guy told my which servo and he also said with the history of it malfunctioning for so long a complete rebuild would cost almost as much as a new trans without the unlimited mile warranty I could have gon the cheap route and it may have been fine but I hate getting stuck and needing a tow, so I did the new trans. Got it back yesterday it's like new again! I'm happy!!
I have to say that this is the first car I've ever had that needed a transmission before it needed front brake pads! The front pads still have over 50%, another indication I don't drive it hard!

2 hours ago, RAM said:

Around here they seem to get around $250 - $300 for a flush (not just a dump and refill).

Every location will have different rates for labor and parts.   Labor could be $100 - $200 an hour.  ATF could be $5 - $10 per quart.  With a machine, the job could be done in an hour.  I did the triple drain and fill with hand tools in an hour.  

When you shop the job around, ask them what the process is.  Some independent shops have good equipment and techs who could do it just like a dealership.  Stay away from any shop who insist that their own proprietary, multi-vehicle, ATF is better than Mercon LV.  The Ford Service Procedure is a triple drain and fill.  So a "dump and refill" is the correct process, if done 3 times.   Stay away from any shop which will only drain and fill once.  

Screenshot_2019-11-13-12-20-05.png

Screenshot_2019-11-13-12-20-36.png

Screenshot_2019-11-13-12-20-58.png