Ford Transit Connect Forum

Convert 2010 TC from Cargo to passenger?

HI, Im looking for a USA 2010-2013 TC passenger but noticed that they are rare and a few thousand more expensive that the cargo's. Is it possible to easily convert a cargo to passenger? I know the newer TC cargo have an extened floor filler panel over the foot well area of the passenger version. Does the first gen TC also have that? Under the rubber cargo floor mat, is there mounts for a bench seat? I know that all these transit connects had seats in them and ripped out to avoid Chicken tax. Thanks :)

It doesn't look easy to convert from a cargo to a passenger, but I guess that all depends on your skill level. This guy's video shows the bare floor of a 2011 Connect (skip to 1:28 for a good wide-angle shot) and you can see that it has mounts for the 2nd row seats but nothing for a 3rd row. Here's a screenshot:

floor.jpg.ba2824297b8e20a5015d87e570e263b7.jpg

There are several safety items you'd need to also consider:

- How do you install reliable seatbelts?

- Do you want side airbags for your passengers?

- What kind of seats will you buy and do they have headrests?

If these questions sound difficult, then it might be easier and safer to just buy a passenger version instead of retrofitting a cargo version into one. As I said, depends on your skill level.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply. Are you sure that is the cargo version? I see rear quarter windows, which I thought only came on the passenger version. Also in the video he says that he removed the subfloor. So there is a removable subfloor for the cargo version? It that just the rubber mat? Thanks 

10 hours ago, Marquizzo said:

- How do you install reliable seatbelts?

10 hours ago, Marquizzo said:

- What kind of seats will you buy and do they have headrests?

There are aftermarket seats and jump seats which have built in seat belts and headrest.  A lot of options.  But you will have to decide for yourself if it is safe.  Your state's vehicle code may have something to say about it also.  But as for function, they will all be functional once you have measured and factored in your available space.

618Ze8bdRpL._SX425_.jpg7513848.jpgrear-jump-seats.jpgoutside-van-interior-custom-seating-options-1068x625.jpg

I have a 2010 TC Passenger that I took one of the rear seats out of. I gave it to a friend to try to fit in her 2013 TC cargo. All the mounts are there for the seats and seat belts, but there is no footwell. The rear passenger has to sit with their knees up by their chest... not ideal, but it works.

@Fifty150 All those seats are really good options! Are these side-facing seats?

12 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

618Ze8bdRpL._SX425_.jpg

Hard to tell what I'm looking at (that looks like the cargo door in the back), but if they're side-facing seats  I'd recommend against them. They provide zero neck support in case of a frontal or rear collision. The spinal damage caused by lateral whiplash would be devastating.

3 hours ago, mbrint said:

I have a 2010 TC Passenger that I took one of the rear seats out of. I gave it to a friend to try to fit in her 2013 TC cargo. All the mounts are there for the seats and seat belts, but there is no footwell. The rear passenger has to sit with their knees up by their chest... not ideal, but it works.

Wow thanks I happy to know that. Does it have the hook that the top seat backs attach too, when you fold them up into the upright seating position? The hook loop that is on the wall. Not the floor one.

3 hours ago, mbrint said:

It would be great if you made a thread with picture of the install. I saw a few threads of people asking this questing, but the only solution responded with was to drill wholes in floor and bolt down custom seats. One guy said a dealer had the option to put an aftermarket bench seat in he cargo version, but they drilled in the floor, and the seat was big and heavy.

The black metal hoop that they attached to bolts onto the metal volume below the one for the door slider (might be covered by a plastic cover). Here's a somewhat blurry photo of what the whole setup should look like. I'll ask the friend that I gave the seat to about the floor mounts, and replay back.

20191015_135622.jpg

On 10/15/2019 at 4:01 PM, mbrint said:

The black metal hoop that they attached to bolts onto the metal volume below the one for the door slider (might be covered by a plastic cover). Here's a somewhat blurry photo of what the whole setup should look like. I'll ask the friend that I gave the seat to about the floor mounts, and replay back.

Thanks for the picture. I have another question I hope you can help me with. Ive been google searching for days, to find out the cargo height of the 2010-13 TC. The Ford brochure lists it at 51", but it also says the maximum height of cargo is 59". Could you possibly measure the height from the cargo floor to the high point of ceiling? 

On 10/15/2019 at 3:46 PM, Marquizzo said:

@Fifty150 All those seats are really good options! Are these side-facing seats?

Hard to tell what I'm looking at (that looks like the cargo door in the back), but if they're side-facing seats  I'd recommend against them. They provide zero neck support in case of a frontal or rear collision. The spinal damage caused by lateral whiplash would be devastating.

That might be looking laterally through a pickup truck extended cab, with suicide rear doors.   

On 10/17/2019 at 9:39 PM, mbrint said:

I have a floor and ceiling installed inside, so I won't be able to get a good measurement.  But from what I recall,  it's 59" for the '10-13 models.

I just purchased and measured my 2010 and from the floor to the heigh part of ceiling, is 53 inches. I even found in a TC brochure pdf, that says it's 59". So strange, I wonder where Ford got that figure from, because its defiantly only 53"